buying on line - help wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am considering buying plants & maybe some shrimp & snails online simply because of the cost & lack of availability here. I live in Northern Ontario Canada (currently -26c/-2f) and am wondering if I am limited to my ordering months as I have no idea what kind of insulation, if any, companys provide wihen shipping product. I am.assuming live animals are warm weather only but are plants as bad or can I push the time frame for ordering with them.

Thanks

Unfortunately for you, yes your ordering season is limited. Many shippers will offer insulated boxes and heat packs but I wouldn't trust them below 10c/50f for most fish. Some plants are a bit more forgiving but you will still be limited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are a lot of good online resources for buying plants and fish online, like LiveAquaria and The WetSpot. IMO I'd only order fish starting in spring, the chance that hey'd freeze to death would be too risky for me. Plants are different though, most (good) companies will include a couple heat packs and insulate the package very well so that the plants will be fine on arrival. You can also post a thread in the Classifieds fir things you want, I bet you some members here have the plants/fish you need. But it's the same thing with waiting for warmer weather, they probably won't want to ship until it's warmer.

There are a lot of good online resources for buying plants and fish online, like LiveAquaria and The WetSpot. IMO I'd only order fish starting in spring, the chance that hey'd freeze to death would be too risky for me. Plants are different though, most (good) companies will include a couple heat packs and insulate the package very well so that the plants will be fine on arrival. You can also post a thread in the Classifieds fir things you want, I bet you some members here have the plants/fish you need. But it's the same thing with waiting for warmer weather, they probably won't want to ship until it's warmer.

The OP is in Canada.... ?

I agree, definitely wait until it gets warmer! Some plants such as Hornwort, Elodea, any floaters, water wisteria and water Sprite may survive.

Number one rule when buying live plants/fish/etc: Always pay via PayPal. If anything is not as described, or fish are sick, plants are tiny, etc you will easily get your money back. Hassle free!

Back
Top Bottom