Can a Betta get burned by a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok that's not good. If it is velvet, it would have most likely started at the head. To be sure, do you see the copper color on his head/gill area?

The ghosts and cards are fine at 80. But if it is velvet, the temp should be raised high enough that it may not be great for them. I would start bumping the heat right away, 1 degree every 12 hours. Is a hospital tank avail for the betta?

Nope. His head, gills look fine. The dark coloring is on his long front fins that are two-tone blue/brown from base to tip (same pattern he's always had), only lighting them up (my flashlights pretty strong) it looks kinda copper colored. But no dust coating.

If it's velvet, shouldn't I treat the whole tank with Quick Cure? If it's not and I treat it, will it harm them?

Well quick cure will kill your inverts. I'd start by raising the temp slowly (temps too low are one cause of velvet) and watching the betta...continuing to light test periodically so you can watch for changes. Any rapid breathing or rubbing on things is also a sign of velvet.

Some bettas have a little copper sheen to them so it can be hard to diagnose, if he has it, he should start to show other symptoms.

Well quick cure will kill your inverts. I'd start by raising the temp slowly (temps too low are one cause of velvet) and watching the betta...continuing to light test periodically so you can watch for changes. Any rapid breathing or rubbing on things is also a sign of velvet.

Some bettas have a little copper sheen to them so it can be hard to diagnose, if he has it, he should start to show other symptoms.

Already kicked it up 1 degree. Yes, Elvis does have that blue swede shoe sheen lol.

I see that now, no inverts, whales or elephant trunks :p.

Should I toss the shrimp out given you're thread on ick? I can pull them out easy enough, but I don't want them to reinfect this tank or another if I re-home them if they're carriers.

There is debate, but I do believe ghosties, especially when they've just molted, can carry parasites like ich and velvet.

There is debate, but I do believe ghosties, especially when they've just molted, can carry parasites like ich and velvet.

For .08 each they can go away in a heart beat, after all they are feeders. I know my Moors would consider them tasty treats, but not at the risk of infecting another tank. Wonder if that's where it can from? I acclimated them my regular way but didn't QT them because of the "inverts can't transmit fish disease theory", Gosh darn it all (well not those words, but close lol)! I'll add that to my list of myths in aquaria, right behind activated carbon.

Worst part is, it's my GF's Betta and she'd never forgive my if Elvis rode the big cadillac into the sky.

EDIT: Actually it says elephant nose, but that didn't make any sense lol.

my old betta got stuck between the heater and it didnt get burned by the heater.

My Betta (Thai) alway sits on the heater, behind airline or among the plastic plants.

Yeah, he kinda picks and chooses where he wants to hang out, but under the suction cup of the heater is his fav. I'll be keeping a good eye on him the next few days and if he doesn't look better, I'm going to use my Quick Cure.

Salt and heat is the generally recommended method for velvet, though I see why you may prefer meds. Though salt may be harder on plants, the meds may be harder on the betta. It's a double edged sword.

Salt and heat is the generally recommended method for velvet, though I see why you may prefer meds. Though salt may be harder on plants, the meds may be harder on the betta. It's a double edged sword.

I've had to use QC twice on my Moors (fish & plants brought in ick) and it worked great, with no reoccurrence of infection. I'm going to try to hold off till I get the heat up to 80 like you suggested and see where he's at. Thing I don't get is, the Cards aren't showing any signs of it. Do they not get velvet?

For .08 each they can go away in a heart beat, after all they are feeders. I know my Moors would consider them tasty treats, but not at the risk of infecting another tank. Wonder if that's where it can from? I acclimated them my regular way but didn't QT them because of the "inverts can't transmit fish disease theory", Gosh darn it all (well not those words, but close lol)! I'll add that to my list of myths in aquaria, right behind activated carbon.

Worst part is, it's my GF's Betta and she'd never forgive my if Elvis rode the big cadillac into the sky.

EDIT: Actually it says elephant nose, but that didn't make any sense lol.

Well, I don't fully understand it. Betta's commonly get velvet when nothing new has been introduced to the tank. Poor water conditions and low temps can cause it, but I really wouldn't think 76 would do it. A drastic change in temps can cause it..maybe somewhere along the lines that happened to him? Usually they have it for a while before it's bad enough to cause red or brown spots on their body. Or maybe it is a burn from the heater! If it's heating the tank as it should be and isn't fluctuating or doing anything weird...and doesn't feel hot to the touch, I'm just doubting it.

I've had to use QC twice on my Moors (fish & plants brought in ick) and it worked great, with no reoccurrence of infection. I'm going to try to hold off till I get the heat up to 80 like you suggested and see where he's at. Thing I don't get is, the Cards aren't showing any signs of it. Do they not get velvet?

I've read its spreads just like ich, but for some reason I only ever hear of bettas getting it.

Also.. some people firmly believe inverts cannot carry or spread ich. I've been reading alot about it since my unfortunate experience with it, and I have come to believe they can, and better safe than sorry, but I really can't be positive :confused:

This heater has an aluminum case, as opposed to a glass one. It's got a bit of a rounded ridge, but it's smooth for the most part.

Oh really that isn't what I was picturing. My aqueons are all glass. Hmm..

Well, I don't fully understand it. Betta's commonly get velvet when nothing new has been introduced to the tank. Poor water conditions and low temps can cause it, but I really wouldn't think 76 would do it. A drastic change in temps can cause it..maybe somewhere along the lines that happened to him? Usually they have it for a while before it's bad enough to cause red or brown spots on their body. Or maybe it is a burn from the heater! If it's heating the tank as it should be and isn't fluctuating or doing anything weird...and doesn't feel hot to the touch, I'm just doubting it.

Yeah, after seeing the scales gone and the spot being fleshy while looking at it with the flashlight (+1 for that trick), I'm wondering if he didn't scrap him self on the DW or something. I was testing that tank last night, he was buzzing around showing off and I didn't see anything wrong with him. If I can avoid hard meds I'd like to, but I may put some melafix in if he looks OK tomorrow afternoon to help heal the wound.

Also.. some people firmly believe inverts cannot carry or spread ich. I've been reading alot about it since my unfortunate experience with it, and I have come to believe they can, and better safe than sorry, but I really can't be positive :confused:

MY LFS expert said they don't and I've always heard that too. Yep, better safe than sorry.

Yes even in tanks I thought I had completely betta-proofed they've managed to injure themselves. Silly guys, really! That's exactly what I would do, BUT use caution with bettas..I choose to purchase the API bettafix, however, you can use melafix but not the full dose. Bettafix is the same medicine as melafix but 1/5 the strength.

Back
Top Bottom