Can a betta kill a snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettalife

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I need something to clean the algea in my betas tank. So I went to the fish store and got a two inch bn pleco. I put it in there and they were doing fine. The next morning a wake up to a dead pleco with his throat ripped out. It was so sad because my betta is so nice to me and had so much personality so I thought he wouldn't hurt a fly. No he killed a pleco. So I was wondering if you think I could get a snail in there.
Thanks

Probably. I don't have much experience with betas, but the Pleco would NOT have fit in the tank anyways... I'd just leave him be, if he's that Aggressive...

He was a bristlenose and I was going to move him to my 30.

I doubt the betta would be able to kill a snail and it isn't as intimidating to a betta as a pleco. I would try it!

I've had bettas, even females, nip at snails. It depends on the betta. Sounds like you have a very aggressive one. Or one that felt very threatened.

Nerites are better shielded than mystery snails. Might try that. Or other anti algae techniques.

Ok he was in a ten gallon so I thought they had enough room bu I guess not

I'd definitely go with the nerite snail as been said, my first betta nipped at everything i put in with him he harassed apple snails but left my nerites alone. They're also good worker's with algae but they don't eat all types of algae.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plus one for the nerites. Nerites rule i keep 3 of them with my betta in my dirted 2.5. The betta has never touched them and they do a great job eating the algae. Plus they are really cheap too

Back
Top Bottom