Can a quarantine tank have a permanent resident?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if when I get my quarantine tank going if a single or possibly two residents could be permanent? Any new arrivals that I put in to monitor before moving to the big tank, if sick I could treat the whole quarantine tank so it should be no problem right? How do y'all typically use your quarantine tanks? How are they typically setup?

I would say no, because what if even 50% of the time you get fish they are sick. Say you get fish ten times, then the fish will get sick 5 times. IMO it is not fair to the fish.

I would say no, because what if even 50% of the time you get fish they are sick. Say you get fish ten times, then the fish will get sick 5 times. IMO it is not fair to the fish.

Well, I really did not think it was common to get sick fish from lfs and the big fish retailers, but I guess it is more common than one would think.

It should be fine. If you see it getting pushed around, you can use something to break up the flow.

It should be fine. If you see it getting pushed around, you can use something to break up the flow.

Yeah, I plan to put some kind of fake decor in there if, IF I do decide to keep something in there.

I don't keep a QT tank set up. I keep a filter pad that fits the QT tank in my big canister filter all the time and if a QT tank is needed I fill the tank with water and pop the seeded filter pad into the QT tank filter. In a true QT tank you don't want any gravel, decor, or anything as it's easier to observe and treat fish if necessary. Then the tank can be sterilized after use. After removing the seeded filter pad to use I just pop a clean one back in the big cansiter so it's ready the next time.

I don't keep a QT tank set up. I keep a filter pad that fits the QT tank in my big canister filter all the time and if a QT tank is needed I fill the tank with water and pop the seeded filter pad into the QT tank filter. In a true QT tank you don't want any gravel, decor, or anything as it's easier to observe and treat fish if necessary. Then the tank can be sterilized after use. After removing the seeded filter pad to use I just pop a clean one back in the big cansiter so it's ready the next time.

That is a pretty good system. As my AC110 is right now with all three filter media in it (foam, carbon and bio rings or whatever those things are called) the top media is partially above the water. Actually right now the carbon is out while treating, but after I put a carbon back in to clear the water of the meds is it ok to just leave the carbon out and replace with a couple of the inserts that are for the 5-15 power filter in between the foam and the bio rings or whatever? That way those are seeded when I need them. Otherwise the top media would be almost totally above the water in the filter housing.

You don't keep anything in it?
I just set up my hospital tank for the first time, and put in some old decorations. The fish seems stressed enough being on her own, I thought leaving her with no cover would stress her more.
Of course, I now have to figure out how to sterilize everything afterwards, so that'll be interesting.

Most fish from the time they are caught and all the places they stay in between often have empty tanks for this very reason. If they are super stressed I can pull a wad of water sprite out and drop it in the tank and then just throw it away when I'm done. I always have cuttings so that isn't an issue.

Piao: You can also put a pad under the outflow of your filter if you don't want to use space in the filter. And you don't have to use carbon as most don't use it in planted tanks. I use purgen in filters if I want chemical filtration.

Mind you I do things a little weird for some, my ex neighbor hated it when he came over and saw 2 empty tanks. I have an empty 20 and a 55 that are filled with water with basic hobs on them. Ive not experienced any outbreaks as of yet, but that could be as ive not bought fish aside from the 12 skunks and 6 ottos last year(which the skunks ate in the qt tank within hours). I get them from tanks i purchased.
I do however have to use the 55 2 or 3 times a year as my wifes tilapia hates all strainers and attacks the heck out of them to the point he rips off scales and bleeds. so i throw him in the 55 for treatment as its cheaper than treating the 125 with melafix. Ive also used the 20 for when buying tanks and people that said they would get rid of there fish havent need a place to go.
As they are already set up all i need to do is switch media over and tanks are the same as far as temp goes. I dont want to be wondering where im setting up a qt tank as sometimes it could be there longer than anticipated. And i wouldnt put anything in them at all. no fake plants, gravel nothing. they dont even have lights on them just plexiglass sheets over them. As soon as im done treating and fish are moved i break it down disinfect it reset it up for whenever I need it again. Which is why you dont need anything else in the tank. It all has to be disinfected.
I think having a qt tank is highly advisable that many people overlook. But adding a fish to your qt tank kinda negates the reasoning behind it. Now your treating a fish that doesnt have an illness. But thats just my 2 cents. Cheers on the fact you have a qt tank:)

I could not have said it any better...

David

Back
Top Bottom