can ba,boo shrimp go in a five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, but IME I tried to keep one in a five and it died the next day. That was just my experience though, and I wasn't very good with shrimp back then.

i wouldnt reccomend it. they are filter feeders,and a 5 doent have nearly enough stuff to filter out,if you did,it would need constant supplementing

I wouldn't recommend it even in a 10. I couldn't keep mine alive in a 29 that was several years old. They're obligate filter feeders and if you don't have enough in the water column for them to filter out, they will die.

And also IMO they get pretty big for a 5. About the size of a crawdad.
Good circulation is also needed for em

Yeah id say no either. I have a vampire shrimp in a 10 gal, but its a lot of work to keep him happy. Id say for bamboo though, maybe even more room is needed (vampire shrimp have been known to pick up food with tiny pinchers)because there stricktly filter feeders

hippy guy said:
Yeah id say no either. I have a vampire shrimp in a 10 gal, but its a lot of work to keep him happy. Id say for bamboo though, maybe even more room is needed (vampire shrimp have been known to pick up food with tiny pinchers)because there stricktly filter feeders

Bamboo shrimp do that as well, but its a sign there isn't enough in the water column for them, so its bad.

I didn't think bamboo had pinchers? Vampire shrimp can do either, ive seem mine pick bloodworms up with little pinchers (not the fans) he's usually under my filter that I aimed the flow downword for) there an interesting species, but I feel bamboo are more sensitive than vampire shrimp, but even they should be in a 10 to 20gal. imho...

Idk if they have separate pincers. Maybe they use the fans.
I was just saying what I read on a couple different places

Bamboo shrimp technically can pick up food off the bottom, but they are are primarily filter feeders. In general, if you see a bamboo shrimp picking stuff off the bottom to eat, he is already starving and death often soon follows. They are very sensitive and they need a lot of space. I would also recommend at least 29 gallons with a decent current.

? Please answer fast. Im at the store.
No, definitely not a good idea. I keep 2 in a 20 gal and they need almost daily supplementation with high quality foods they can filter from the water such as OSI's invert micro food and zooplankton. They also need a strong flow from the filter.

Bamboo shrimp do that as well, but its a sign there isn't enough in the water column for them, so its bad.
While this is true to an extent, the longer I own them the more I can see that they do take a break from filtering from time to time to forage along the substrate even when there is not a lack of food available to filter. I've witnessed my bamboo's pick up and eat a ramshorn snail. They are sort of like a cross between a shrimp and a cray. But yes, in general, you should see them posed with their fans out and not picking at things.

I have already gotten answers that I needed. I got the info I needed. Thankyou for the help everyone.

Cool! I've had a heck of a time finding anything on my vampire, he seems pretty healthy though, so I guess I'm doin good

Back
Top Bottom