Canister Ceramic Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson_004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 trays of ceramic rings in my fluval 404 for my cichlid tank. They are the fluval brand that came with teh filter when i bought it just over a year ago. I know it says to change half of the ceramic rings after 6 months. Do i really have to change them every 6 months if i rinse them once or twice a week in old tank water?

I have the same rings in my Fluval 304 and its been running nonstop for almost 3 years now. I have NEVER changed the Ceramic Bio Rings. I do however put filterfloss in the lowest of the chambers, the 2nd chamber is half biorings and when needed half carbon the top chamber is all bio rings. they get brown with gunk im guessing dead organisms, but it has never made me think i should was them off. just keep good media in the lower chamber and your sponges clean and you should be ok

They say to change them to sell more product. I use ceramic rings then floss then the sctinered glass 'noodles' in my 404. I only rinse in the PWC water and replace the floss.

I agree, I only rinse mine in the old PWC water to preserve the beneficial bacteria. I have never replaced mine.

I rinse mine in tap with every filter maintenance and have never replaced them. I don't even bother with used tank water for rinsing since I use the python .

No need to ever change the bio rings. Make sure you rinse them once in a while using the same aquarium water. I've kept the same bio ring in all 3 of our canister filters for the last 4 years with no problems.

I do like FF does, I rinse them in tap water since I use the python. Never had a minicycle as a result. I've had mine for over 2 years never replaced.

Back
Top Bottom