Canister Filter for 55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am finally getting time to start getting stuff for my 55g tank setup. I was thinking of going with a canister style filter instead of the HOB filters. I know the HOB filters are good, I run them now on all three of my tanks. But kinda want to go different since the tank is going to be bigger. Any suggestion on canister filters or what any of you have been running?

+1, rookie knows of what he speaks. Both are very good and easy to maintain. Whichever you get the best price on would be good.

What's the GPH suppose to be with a canister filter? Just curious. Appreciate the help..

I've been using the base SunSun/Aquatop (without the UV sterilizer) canister for a few months with no issues whatsoever. Very quiet, excellent flow rate, never a problem. I'd recommend them!

I have used Fluval, Eheim, Rena, and others, and without a doubt I would use Fluvals every time. You get flow, the best parts and accessories included, all in a great design. I would do the Fluval 405.

I read one question I ask earlier, just curious on what the GPH I need for a 55g tank? Using a canister style filter. I know I read some were that for HOB filters its 10 gph to 1 gallon of water. Is this the same for canister filters? Just have a normal.community tank.

Yes and no. Most people base it more on what the filter claims it can handle and cut that in half. So you would want one that claims it can handle 100-110+ gallons.

I would put a Fluval FX5 on that tank, but that's just me (an OCD freak who extremely over filters) lol
But you can't really over filter...

Thanks..I appreciate all the information. Should be getting my tank in a week or so. Than will be getting a canister filter. Just seems the best choice for a larger tank. Than running two HOB filters.

Back
Top Bottom