Canister filter question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britsmith9211

Aquarium Advice Regular
I didn't know where else to ask this question but u just got a Aquatop CF-400 UV canister filter and I got it all set up and it works great but the current is crazy. Is there anyway I can sort of turn it down.

The easiest way would probably be to install a ball valve in the output line. Then you could adjust the flow to whatever suits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use more of the included spray bar. It will reduce the current while keeping the same amount of flow. Good filter btw, I have the same thing :)

I the filter 6 cichlids a 40 gallon long and a bunch of other random stuff in a trade. All in all what I got would be priced 2x maybe 3x more then what he got which was an adult male red tail boa.

If I put a ball valve on the output line is there any risk of the filter over flowing or anything.
Ive never had a canister filter so I'm just trying to figure it out lol

Without being more familiar with that particular canister I couldn't say for sure. It would probably be smart to keep an eye on it for a while after you first install it, just in case.

That said, I would think it should be ok. As the filter material loads up with junk over time the output will diminish, adding the valve will just simulate that buildup quicker. You may have to adjust the valve periodically as the filter material clogs up.

Seriously, you don't need to use a ball valve. Just connect more pieces of the spray bar.

Can you drill some of the spray bar holes larger, or buy more extensions?

It only came with one extension when I got it so I'll have to see if I can order any from somewhere

It only came with one extension when I got it so I'll have to see if I can order any from somewhere

Wow, mine came with 5 pieces. I tried one and it ended up spraying water about 15 feet away. Did you check the parts list to see if they were all there?

The outlet kit is in stock at that website for $12.99. I have never used that website, it's just what I found first

I bought a used Eheim that didn't come with a spraybar and made my own.
Look in Home Depot under Polyethylene Pipe & Fittings.
I got a 1/2" tee, a 2 foot length of pipe & two end caps for under $5, and built a spraybar that covers half the tank. You can drill as many holes at any size to control the flow, or even try without endcaps. The connectors push into each other without glue.

Soak your return hose in hot water to make it easier to fit over the barbs on the connector.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing just going to a hardware store and getting piping :)

For my fluval 405, I used 15mm PVC, i used 2 90degree elbows to get it over and around the lid lip and use gorilla glue to secure it tightly to the flexihose from the unit.

I drilled approx every im 2inches one line of holes and at approx 1cm down and in between a second set of holes every inch and secured a end cap. This allowed one set to flow nicely across the surface of the tank and the other set to flow 45degrees from the top of the water level to the opposing down diagonal thus giving a great mild water flow, maximum water turnover.

Back
Top Bottom