Can't find dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissGurnus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a platy die over the weekend while i was away but at the moment I've yet to find it. I did s water change yesterday evening and tested the water again today and the reading had a minute green ting to it (i use the liquid api test kit). Basically im looking for any tips or advice on how to make sure the ammonia doesn't hurt the other fish or how to find the body possibly. I plan on doing water changes more often (twice a week?) thanks for any info!

Do 50% to 75% water change asap and look for the fish until you find it. Never just leave a dead body in a tank. Sorry for you loss :(

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

The change i did yesterday was just over 50%. I've been looking and looking to no avail :( and im afraid to move the rocks because I don't want one to fall on anyone...

What fish do you have with them? More often then not when one of my fish die the others start eating it within an hour and after a day it's just a skeleton if not taken out and if left longer snails break it down and eat what's left.

Keep calm and drum on

I do have 4 cory's and khuli's. I tested the water again and i think the green i saw was just panic induced. Its so hard to tell 00 from .25 >_>

I'd say the Corys ate the body with the kuhlis eating leftovers. My corys are normally the first ones to go after anything that touches the floor of the tank

Keep calm and drum on

Hi sorry to hear of your loss:( I am guessing you have checked it hadn't jumped out? Also as already said most 'dead' fish get eaten quite quickly. Not ideal but it happens. I would have a real good check round just to double check. I have shrimps in my tank and since they have been in there I am yet to take out a dead fish! They eat the fish long before I even spot it missing - scary!:eek:

Well... She was very ill and weak (due to poor stock i think) I tried some things but nothing worked nor did i have the means to euthanize at the time. I doubt she was able to jump but I'll definitely check. Between the khuli's and cory's im starting to think it was eaten.

I also double checked the ammonia and im thinking it was a 00 reading and I panicked as the second one was yellow confirmed by my fiancé. I didn't do anything to the tank between readings, but im definitely going to keep testing to be cautious

Hi sounds like it didn't jump out but always worth checking just in case? I would do just a couple of extra water changes and feed a little less for a few days:)

I lost a white guppy and never could find him either. I also have coreys and an albino pleco. Not a sign left of him anywhere.

I am certain I have had fish die in my main tank and be eaten by the rest. Like others have said I would just do an extra WC and not worry about it too much if you didn't find him right away.

Back
Top Bottom