can't find suspected dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trolleydolly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my leopard danios hasn't been seen for 3 days. I can't find a dead body but I'm not holding out much hope for him. I tested my water levels today - nitrate and ammonia fine, nitrites raised. I did a partial water change and vacumed around the ceramic media but came up with no leopard! Should I keep looking? Which is going to cause more damage to the other fish, a dead fish polluting the water or stress caused by me rooting around their little world?

Thanks...

Well, a dead fish (if its still in there and they haven't eaten him) will cause ammonia and nitrite spikes (as you are seeing with nitrites) which will definitely stress the fish. I'd give the tank a good once over, looking in the filter and under decor. If you don't find him, I'd just keep a very close eye on water parameters as you are doing.

what other kind of fish do you have? I lost a few fish and never found the bodies, including a catfish, but I found the catfish alive--and he must of eaten the dead bodies! (ew)

I would say that your dead fish was probably eaten by your other fish, i would keep an eye on your other fish.
Just like allivymar said keep an eye on your water parameters as well.

Yep, chances are he was eaten the first day. I have lost a few and never seen the bodies. Circle of life and all that.

Back
Top Bottom