Centerpiece for 10gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the moment I have a cycled 10 gallon tank with
7 neon tetras
3 mysterious snails
Other random snails from moss I bought.

So I was wondering what center piece fish I could put in there that would go well with the species I have at the moment.

You can get a single (or pair) of black phantom tetras.
I don't suggest honey gouramis for tanks this small. Some strains get rather large and its hard to know what you are going to get if you start with a small one. Dg stay atabout 2 inches though, so IMO a dg would be ok. I agree about a platy or a couple of guppies or maybe a small betta. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I don't suggest honey gouramis for tanks this small. Some strains get rather large and its hard to know what you are going to get if you start with a small one. Dg stay atabout 2 inches though, so IMO a dg would be ok. I agree about a platy or a couple of guppies or maybe a small betta. :)

Oh I thought they stayed smaller than DG! My bad!

Are you sure you're thinking of honey gouramis and not another species of gourami?

Thanks for the ideas! But what exactly is a dg? A dwarf gourami?

Also for the pairs and trios, am I expected to keep the fries in there? I sure wouldn't mind but not sure if it'll be over stocked.

Also I have a penguin filter for a 30 gallon tank.

Thanks for the ideas! But what exactly is a dg? A dwarf gourami?

Also for the pairs and trios, am I expected to keep the fries in there? I sure wouldn't mind but not sure if it'll be over stocked.

Also I have a penguin filter for a 30 gallon tank.
Yes, a dwarf gourami. Dwarf gouramis usually do better in pairs but females are pretty hard to find.
The fry might get eaten if you keep them in there... if you want to keep any, you should take them out of the tank and out them in another. When the fry grow, the tank will become overstocked unless you find some place to put the fry like another tank. You could also give away the fry to fish stores or other aquarists. That filter should be fine for the tank.
Here's a male dwarf gourami:

Are you sure you're thinking of honey gouramis and not another species of gourami?
Yes I am. Some research has showed me that Colisia chuna has sometimes been crossed with the thick lip gourami so it makes the fish's sizes vary. The honeys I am familiar with reach over 3 inches, but some strains (usually the ones labeled sunset honey) stay a fair amount smaller.
Yes, like maxwell said, dg means dwarf gourami.

I have read so many conflicting opinions on a dg in a 10g that I decided to play it safe and just put mine in a bigger tank. So I'll put a plug in for a betta. Find a beautiful male - my favorites right now are crown tails-- and they reward you with silly antics and funny personalities. I've had one in a 10 with neons before and he didn't bother them and they didn't bother him.

+1 for betta. Most should be okay with the neons--stay away from the plakats, as they tend to be more aggressive. A ten gallon is a perfect size for a betta. And no worries about breeding. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom