Changed filters now water parameters diff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went from a Marineland Penguin350 bio wheel in my 29 gallon tank and I wanted something that wasn't so loud so I got an Aquaclear 50. Before the filter change my ammonia and nitrites were always 0 but my nitrates were usually around 20 which was higher than I really would like but was still in the safe range. I have had the new filter up and running since Monday with the bio wheels and 1 filter media from the old filter in clean unused nylons to help get the new filter seeded (is that really necessary)?

Originally I read to do that, then some said to have both filters running at the same time but I don't have room for that on my tank without taking off the hood and I don't want that. So I thought I could keep parts of them in for a little bit and monitor water. I tested the water day before yesterday and again today and ammonia and nitrites are still at 0 but the nitrates are down to 5-10. That's a good thing right?!

Should I keep the old filter media in for a while longer or can I start removing them slowly or all at once?

I would keep the filter media in the tank for another week or two just to be safe. Try putting the old filter media in the new filter if there's space to do so.

Back
Top Bottom