Cherry shrimp in the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, this is my first foray into keeping shrimp and as I expected, some of my cute little (and I mean leeeeettle) cherry shrimp have ended up in my filter. I have one of those silly whisper in-tank filters (not extremely powerful) which now is housed in a piece of pantyhose.

When I finally move these shrimp to my 29 gallon what should I do to keep them out of my hob? Do I need to use a piece of pantyhose or is there some kind of sponge that will fit over the intake? Will the sponge on the intake affect the way the filter works?

The pantyhose is a good idea, you can use it when you vacuum the gravel.

I always use an Eheim prefilter. Never had shrimp (Amanos and Bees) in my filter again.

A prefilter is a small mechanical filter attached to the input of another filter. Usually a sponge.

You should also be careful of what you stock with your shrimp. Most community fish with a mouth large enough will eat them. I tried cherry shrimp once and they just ended up being an expensive snack for my rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom