Cleaning rocks - best method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClearVision94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is boiling the rocks the best way to clean them and how do I know the minerals in the rock are safe for aquarium use?

Do NOT boil rocks. Some can have air trapped inside them and boiling them can cause them to explode. A good scrubbing and rinsing should be enough to properly clean them. If you want to make sure the rock with not mess with your pH, put a few drops of vinegar on the rock. If it bubbles, it will change your pH. If not, you should be fine.

Do NOT boil rocks. Some can have air trapped inside them and boiling them can cause them to explode. A good scrubbing and rinsing should be enough to properly clean them. If you want to make sure the rock with not mess with your pH, put a few drops of vinegar on the rock. If it bubbles, it will change your pH. If not, you should be fine.

I knew there was a reason not to boil rocks, I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks Okapizebra.

I usually just scrub them really good and soak them for awhile. Never had any trouble.

Glad to help. :) I would also just inspect the rocks to make sure there aren't any areas that look like there's metal deposits.

Back
Top Bottom