Cloudy water cant shake it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ryan-peddle said:
Ok I am replacing my actinic bulb too and my photoperiod right now is 4 hrs so I will bump it to 8 hrs and I will try some flourish

Does anyone know what size or how many watts uv sterilizer I will need for an 80 gallon?

How is your tank looking Eco ?
I haven't shakes it yet but I am buying my uv sterilizer next week

My floss and bio balls are green and the filter so I rinsed and wiped down all media in tank water of course but I didn't do my 405 yet I hate to see what's inside

Ummm...I can't really tell yet. I think the changes I've made have made a slight difference for the better...but I'm actually going to do a 4 day blackout starting tomorrow. I really feel like the advice I got from fort will balance everything out and let me conquer the algae, but I think it needs some help to get started.

I'm going to go a little nuts with the algae pad tomorrow, then do a big pwc, replace the poly-fil with new, say goodbye to the fishies for a while then cover the tank with contractor bags or foil for probably 4 days. Hopefully that'll put a dent in the algae, then the new light and fert dosing routine will help to keep it at bay.

I've done it before and its jjust difficult for me to not look into the tank for that long, it drives me crazy. I just want to peek!

You just gave me incentive I am gonna do the exact same thing tomorrow vac and pwc 70% scrape and rinse ac and 405 and wrap my tank for 4 days I will pick up my daylight bulb and loss the actinic

Let's see if our results are the same

O are you gonna rinse your decorations?

The only decoration I really have in there is my DW...everything else is plants. I'd like to take my DW out and put it in a bucket to scrub it down...but that thing is like RCS kingdom. I know I'd either lose a ton in transit...or end up squishing them when I stick the DW back into the gravel. I don't think I'll be able to get it very clean where it is, but I'm hoping that after the blackout it'll clean off easier...otherwise the shrimps are gonna be unhappy for a bit.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
id like some before and after pics ive been following this an im very interested in the results

I was just thinking about that. I'll snap some tomorrow before I wrap it.

Yeah count my lucky stars lol
Eco are you gonna feed during your blackout and what about my plants i would assume there will be some damage

You can't peek, you can't feed, you can't test...nothing. You've just got to make it absolutely pitch black and don't let a glimmer of light in for a full 4 days. It's gonna suck. Make sure you test and do a pwc as soon as it's uncovered because the algae will decay and potentially leech ammonia.

Also don't instantly turn the light on because they'll be freaking blinded after all that time in the dark.

I've done it before...the plants will look unhappy, but they'll be alright. Apparently they can take that period of darkness but the algae can't.

In my experience - cloudy water is from
Overcrowding/Overfeeding. Maybe use some larger water changes. Never had a "yellow" color however.

Johnstamos003 said:
In my experience - cloudy water is from
Overcrowding/Overfeeding. Maybe use some larger water changes. Never had a "yellow" color however.

I thought it was cloudy water but it was my actinic bulb making it look tgat way it's green water and I did multiple large water changes plus my weekly pwc/vac with a filter rinse 2-3 times per week and I don't overfeed if anything I under feed I guarantee not one piece of food hits the ground and it's an 80 gallon with small community fish it's not overstocked my perameters are always perfect just green water

I think algae blooms are fairly common at some point..they're just a pain in the butt. I'm trying to build up the courage to wrap my tank...it's just so hard to say goodbye to the fishies for 4 days, lol.

I know the feeling but I worked all day and now have stuff to do so later tonight I will clean and wrap I am gonna wrap in brown builders paper it's kinda like construction paper but a big roll will that work you think?

I assume. Maybe stick your head in one and see if it blocks out the light, lol. I'm gonna use black contractor trash bags. They're really thick and should be good. Years ago I used tin foil and it worked awesome...but the missus will freak if she sees I used all the foil in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom