Clown Loach advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahh

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, so everything i have read about the clown loach ( maybe the wrong pages i guess) says that they are strictly freshwater, but then i saw a photo of one in with cichlids...

now i had some trouble keeping them alive in fresh, but now in the salted water, they are thriving.. are we good to keep in there? i mean obviously it works for these guys, but should i wean them off it to keep their organs healthy?

anyway, pretty new to these guys (well keeping them happy anyway) gotta say, i LOVE the happy dances they do and the pets they likey and the little noises they make at dinner time :)

What size tank are they in? I don't know much about those fish, but I do know that they need a large tank. Maybe that's why they didn't do well?

you know, i never figured out what it was, my parameters looked fine, maybe a little low in alkalinity, but who know. thankfully i know a little more about keeping fish now :)

i have 3 young adults about 3 inches now, and i just bought 4 from petsmart (i know, i know) and they are tiny little things.. underfed and stuff when i got them.. perked up when they saw the bloodworms :)

the babies are in quarantine ( 5 gallon hex) and the bigger ones are in a 45 tall.. the plan is to clear out a 75 gallon for them, but so far no one wants red zebs for christmas. which leaves me with lots of them lol.

First problem is Clown Loaches get BIG!(Over a foot long) So a bigger tank is a must and you are looking at 75g per loach. I thought clown loaches were also strictly fresh not an expert but i have never heard of them needing brackish or salt water. Hopefully someone can double clarify but hope this helps =)

+1 for Hobnobelisk... Clown Loaches get humongous and you are going to need a way bigger tank than 75g, sorry to say. I wouldn't go around buying a bunch of Clown Loaches here and there until you are sure that you'll be able to give them a properly sized tank. They grow kinda slowly, but 5 gallons is still really small for them. While they are babies, the bare minimum I'd go is 10 gallons! Perhaps they haven't done well for you because of stress (Just a thought).

Also, +1 to Mark Hewitt... I've always kept Cichlids in freshwater... ?

Clown Loach
Cichlids, Family: Cichlidae, Angelfish, Oscars, Firemouth, Malawi, Tanganyika

I am certainly no expert! But, I have learned a bit from websites on them here and there.

usually quarantine is a ten gallon, but the tank i had for them was used for a momma cichlid to spit her fry. It's going to be 2 more days in the 5, then transfer to a 55.

i have 7 because they are said to be better in groups. The 75 gallon should be fine for them until they get bigger, right? i was figuring when they get about 5/6 inches, i could upgrade the tank.

as for the cichlid water, i have always used cichlid salts, or a rift lake mix of salts, to keep the pH high and the alkalinity up there.
A mix of epsom salts, table salt, and baking soda. and keep limestone in the tank as a buffer

The 55g upgrade will be great for them while they are small. Unlike the 5g, it will give them a lot of room to grow :)

The 75g will also be very good for some time, but yes, a larger tank investment will be needed eventually.

Also, yes, they like to be in groups of 5+.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far.. Hope everything works out!

Back
Top Bottom