cold water fish suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I'm getting myself another 125 gallon tank, but the thing is, its going to be in my basement living room, which means a low tempurature. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to some cold water fish, besides koi and goldfish, that could tolerate a temp around the low 60's.

Thanks!

I was thinking of a chinese high fin shark as well. My brother wants me to go to the lake near us and catch like 7 sunfish.

Weather loaches would really suit a 125G, plenty of space for them. You could probably get a pair in there ok.

Like mcd says, there's plenty of coldwater loaches about, and also some subtropical ones like the schistura et. al. and definitive hillstreams.

Danios, minnows, & co. could all be suitable schooling fish.

I just want to offer a warning to drummerj if he decides to catch the sunfish.

I once had a group of young bluegill and they were very nasty fish. They only ate meat/each other and the group in a matter of a few weeks was reduced down to one as the largest (by the smallest of margins) destroyed the others. I came home to the last foe swimming around without any eyes and he did not last too long.

Just a word of caution on turning North American panfish into aquarium fish from my experience.

oh man i know, i had several sunfish previously, none of which lasted long. My brother had one in with a couple of neon gouramis, and they picked on him incessantly. Eventually, he got slime and rot and it was very, very disgusting. He lasted about 6 months, in a warm tank. If i did end up catching sunfish, I would also try to put in some yellow perch, and i could catch some smallmouth bass, some rainbow trout and white perch. There are even large mouth bass in the lake. We've caught all those fish there before.

heres all the fish i have kept in a coldwater tank (some of them may not be remommended, but they seems to do very well)

-platies
-white clouds
-danios
-common plecos
-dojo loaches(you need these fish :)
-rosy red minnows
-female bettas

Some other great choices would be
- hillstream loaches
-pretty much any type of minnow

I will warn you about the hi fin shark.... they get BIG
heres a pic of an adult
http://people.sunyit.edu/~shic/highfinshark1.jpg
-

In all honesty, a 125 gallon tank is kinda small for even two bluegill. Maybe larger cichlids would do ok in the tank.

I don't know if there are any coldwater cichlids, but perhaps there are. In terms of coldwater fish, the species pondwater and I have suggested are probably about average for a tank of your size and specifics.
I really wouldn't try and keep bass, trout or other such fish in an aquarium: it's really not the environment for them.

i really want to do central american cichlids (i already have a 125 with malawians), i just dont want to have to spend a lot of money on heating, my electric bill is already through the roof, with 11 tanks and all that.
I'm kinda torn between having a massive community tank with schools of barbs and danios and the like, and a wicked sweet tank with convicts and such. ahhggggg i need more tanks, hahaha

Back
Top Bottom