Community tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bender

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a new 55g tank. Need idea stocking it and decorating. Do not want live plants. Was thinking of tiger barbs? maybe not sure? Or Jack Dempsys they seem neat little buggers....Well ideas and help and suggestions : i new here too :D :D

1. Welcome to the sight!!! :)

2. No Jack Dempsy. You might be able to keep 1 in a 55g tank. But what fun would that be...

3. Dont forget about cycling your tank. If you skip it then your fish will be a ton harder to keep healthy and you will most likely end up with some dead ones.

4. If i were in your shoes then i would probably get then i would probably get 2 schools of barbs. How about this little list:
8 tiger barbs
8 green barbs
1 rainbow shark (normal or albino)
1 BN pleco

Why the shark and Pleco? And do i need fake plants at all in tank? I was planning driftwood and large river rocks....and yes i will cycle it. Was reading the fishless method and using pure amonia. figure on about 4 weeks to cycle? and substrate.....any ideas? how hard is sand to deal with?

i was going to use a hang on back filter rated to 110g should be enough? and some airstones...

Just thought about the shark because it could add alittle color to your ank and it would be an ok fish to put with barbs. The pleco because it would help with your tank and keeping it clean. No you dont need fake plants. Drift wood and river rocks is fine as long as you clean them. Cycling can differ on time. Some times it goes quick and other times it takes a while. For substrate gravel and sand will both work. Pool sand is great just make sure you rinse it. Yes that filter would be great for the tank. And the air stones would be nice too. Your getting a heater right? Oh and with that good of a filter you could add up your stocking list. Hows this:
10 tiger barbs
10 green barbs
1 rainbow shark
1 BN pleco

i think that would be pretty. Yes a heater will be purchased. I was thinking maybe 10 tigers and xClown Loachs? think it would be pretty black sand dark rock and driftwood then a black background.

Loaches and barbs would be a pretty tank indeed.

In a 55, don't discount getting something bigger quite yet: you could do keyhole cichlids or kribs or somthing moderately good in a community with fast, tougher species who could fend for themselves like congo tetras or zebra danios. You might even be able to do a shellie region, another cichlid in the midlevel, and some danios at the surface.

Still, Mike's ideas would make a very nice tank itself.

Loaches and barbs would be a pretty tank indeed.

In a 55, don't discount getting something bigger quite yet: you could do keyhole cichlids or kribs or somthing moderately good in a community with fast, tougher species who could fend for themselves like congo tetras or zebra danios. You might even be able to do a shellie region, another cichlid in the midlevel, and some danios at the surface.

Still, Mike's ideas would make a very nice tank itself.
Sounds good to me.

Ever thought about breeding fish if so i think that some convicts would do great. Or even if you didnt want to breed them i still think they would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom