Compatability of inverts and other fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am guessing that any fish that is a carnivore should not be housed with shrimp or snails? I am thinking about getting some of those but I am not sure jic I end up w something like that. Still planning on the panda cories and probably some swordtails or platies in the 25. Still have the 10, all I plan for that is a couple otos.

Snails would be fine with most carnivorous fish that aren't too large. While shrimps on the other hand end up being quite a tasty snack for almost species you could think of.

If there aren't too many shrimp hungry fishies, and you have a great place for shrimp to safely hide, this can help, but its probably best to think of what would work out for all the inhabitants.

the answer really is it depends.... there is no real answer when talking about generals.

snails will work in the 25 with the cories swords and platies and there some shrimp that will work. most of the dwarf shrimp like cherry shrimp will become snacks for the fish. why not set the 10 up as a shrimp tank.

If there aren't too many shrimp hungry fishies
thats the other way around.... most fish will eat shrimp.

I was thinking about setting it up as a shrimp tank, but I am still not sure. I really want to get a solitary fish or a pair for the 10, like maybe a male and female betta but I don't know if that would work or not. I am not sure if I will like shrimp, I am just warming up to the idea of them. I will probably do some more research; but I have plenty of time. thanks :)

With snails like applesnails or any trapdoor snail the only things (that i know of) that are bad with it are crayfish and bettas. everything else does not seem to care that they exists. And i have had ghost shrimp hunt and kill my platy fry :mad:

the answer really is it depends.... there is no real answer when talking about generals.

snails will work in the 25 with the cories swords and platies and there some shrimp that will work. most of the dwarf shrimp like cherry shrimp will become snacks for the fish. why not set the 10 up as a shrimp tank.

thats the other way around.... most fish will eat shrimp.

Yeah, meant to say, depending on the size of the fish and the size of the shrimp. My danios don't give a hoot what my ghost shrimp are up to. I imagine if there were some babies, they might change their mind, but otherwise there haven't been any problems.

So, do all snails multiply like crazy? I read up on shrimp and the ones I would like seem to be for more advanced aquatists (Aquarists?) I found some pretty cool snails though! I was thinking of MTS since I have the pool filter sand. I did see this really pretty pink snail, can't find the website or remember what it was called, but the site said it is more of a nuasence (sp?) to most people than help.

EDIT : The snail I found was a ramshorn. What are everyone's thoughts on these things? Sound bad but they are really pretty :(

no not all snails multiply like crazy. some wont breed in fw others have easy to control ways of breeding like the apply snails laying their eggs above the water like. so easy you can take them off.

Back
Top Bottom