concrete objects in tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I may like to put some concrete structures (like a pot or something) in an aquarium as decoratios but I'm afraid it may screw up the water. Does anyone put these objects in tanks? Some of the things I've seen look very appropriate (like a primitive looking vase or pot). To me, concrete looks better than terra cotta, which I do see in tanks alot.

i wouldn't risk it.

I NEVER put anything in my aquarium unless I bought it from a LFS or unless the product specifically states its aquarium safe.

also, concrete weighs ALOT !!!!!
this will mean less water in the tank and possible cracks if it drops.

Do you have a link to concrete decor? How large a tank and how large is the pot that you may want to put in?

Different cements are manufactured so it would be key to know what kind of cement, contents, etc. You could also try the vinegar/acid test I believe to see if it will leech anything. I would also be concerned about weight and placement (wouldnt' want it to scratch the glass).

I believe that concrete/cement contains limestone which would raise your pH and hardness. there may be other additives that I'm not aware of. Perhaps you could seal it with clear epoxy.

I'd be extremely cautious. Perhaps someone here knows more about concrete.

This is a 180 gallon tank that will house Lake Malawi cichlids. These tanks are often staked to the top with rocks so I'm sure the weight of pot I want to put in there will be okay. What I'm looking at is a flower vase that was used outside for a long time. It is about 1 ft tall and 8" in diameter. It looks really cool to me. I'll try the vinegar test. I really think the pot/vase will be okay as cement is used an awful lot in koi ponds and such. I don't even have the tank yet so I've got plenty of time to research this question.

i don't know a lot about concrete itself, but i'm constructing a diy background with it. it raises your ph and buffers the water, but that's what i want for my new malawi tank. i think its recommended that you cure the concrete object for about 2-3 weeks with frequent water changes and aeration in a bucket to get the ph to a stable point. sometimes people add salt to help the process along.
i just started curing 2 days ago (in the tank itself). HTH.

you posted while i was typing (i'm real slooow)...

but from what i read from your last post, the pot should be ok to put inside. i know some people let their diy backgrounds sit outside in the rain for about 2 weeks and it's cured.

SW fokes make man made LR from concrete for there tanks, there is a resipe on garf.org.. so I would asume that its safe to use if you dont mind the water hardness issue.. wich wont be a problem for a Rift Lake tank.. HTH

btw. the acid test really doesnt apply to a ARLC tank.

So is this DIY background something like rocks that are held together with cement and put up against the backside of the tank?

its more of the traditional styrofoam-cement thing :mrgreen: . started building it after a lot of deliberation. hope it turned out ok. i'll post pix later.

*edit* simul-post :)

I just cruised through the DIY backgrounds on the cichlid forum. Now I'm thinking about making my own background out of styrofoam. This has 2 things I like. No. 1. It reduces the weight of the tank and, No.2. Allows you some creativity in making caves and outcrops and such. Now I'm getting really obsessed with this thing.

dax, since i was building it for a 75g, i wanted to minimize water displacement. but for a 180g, i'm sure your goal would be different. and obsession is a necessary evil in this hobby... :mrgreen: ...(my roommates were pretty mad when i finished carving the styro in the living room)...
ok, i'm going way OT, and will shut myself up...

Weight of the tank is a big concern of mine. I'm already gonna put the tank on a 4X8 platform made of 3/4" plyboard just to spread the weight out more. I'm probably gonna cover it with some remnant linoleum and finish the edges off with some door molding or something. This option could really reduce the weight and be attractive if done properly.

You can use terracotta pots ... check at home depot, etc. but make sure to really rinse them well in case there is fertilizer (or wore) on 'em.

Back
Top Bottom