Confusing results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I wanted to close the loop on the discussion regarding Prime possibly causing false ammonia readings when using a Salicylate based test kit like API. So I posted on the Seachem discussion board asking for clarification of the Prime FAQ and I finally got a response. According to Seachem's support representatives Prime does NOT result in false positive ammonia readings. To be clear this means that when using Prime the test will not show an ammonia reading unless there is actually ammonia in the tank. The "false positive" that Seachem refers to in their Prime FAQ relates to the Salicylate based test kit not being able to differentiate between NH3 and NH4. So in my opnion this is misleading as its not really a false positive since there really is ammonia in the tank. Anyhow, I tip my hat to Thren who had it right all along and I apologize to anyone who I may have given incorrect info to. For what it is worth, the representative at Seachem did say that other condiitioners on the market could have an adverse reaction with the test kit causing a false positive, but that the "proprietary blend of complexed hydrosulfite salts" in Prime doesn't have the same reaction. Here is a link to the thread I am referring to:

Prime and "False Positive" Ammonia Readings - Seachem Support Forums

Back
Top Bottom