Coolie Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robcurry12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so the coolie (or kulhi) loach has been one of my most sought after fish ever since I started keeping an aquarium. They are just so unique in behavior and appearance that I've always wanted them. Unfortunately, where I am located don't frequently stock coolie loaches. However, a LFS finally has a stock of them and I'm chomping at the bit to get a few.

But looking at my current set up I wonder whether or not the coolies are a fit. Their tankmates (platys, Cories, cherry barbs, danios) are not what I'm worried about. It's the setup of the tank. I'm worried there are not enough hideouts for them. I've attached a photo to give you guys an idea of my setup. On top of that, it's gravel substrate so I fear I may have to pass on the coolies for now until I have a more suitable setup.

What do you guys think/recommend? Is my tank suitable for coolies? Any advice you can give me? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460349255.592955.jpg

You have a lovely tank. I'd like to know what size it is too. I think you are wise to ask about the tank set-up. I agree they would not have enough places to hide and they much prefer sand to bury down in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice. I have a piece if driftwood mine stay under most of the day time. Good luck!

You have a lovely tank. I'd like to know what size it is too. I think you are wise to ask about the tank set-up. I agree they would not have enough places to hide and they much prefer sand to bury down in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice. I have a piece if driftwood mine stay under most of the day time. Good luck!

Thank you! And the tank is a 36g bow front! So you'd recommend to pass on the coolies?

Ah the pressure! Lol. If it were me I would get a fairly big piece of driftwood that the loaches could hide under and change to sand. I'd think that would be perfect for them, if you really want them. But you see what others say and maybe research kuhlies with gravel.

Your tank really is nice, choices choices.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would say that the khulis would much prefer sand, so perhaps you could switch over? I also agree that it would probably be better to have a few more hidey-holes, heehee. If you're looking for a cheap way to provided shelter for the loaches, find a 100% terracotta pot at michaels or walmart, rinse it off good, fill in the lil drainage hole with aquarium silicone, and put it in the tank on its side. :) hope i could help! Best of luck with the lil guys

I just picked up 10 on aquabid which are currently in my quarantine tank. They definitely need sand, as mine like to bury themselves.

Your tank seems clean enough that you could probably switch over a dim corner of your tank to sand with some cave structures for them and they should be ok.

I have Kuhli's in a half gravel half sand tank and I see no need to change over to gravel. They do fine in both. I would add some cholla wood and or a coconut cave for them. Drift wood doesn't give you the ability for hiding like cholla wood does. My friend also got Kuhli's and they even enter through the cholla wood's holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you everyone for all of your advice! Incredibly helpful. I'm thinking I might add some more plants and hold off on the kulhis and see how that goes. I'd love to add driftwood but I'm not sure if I have the room.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice! Incredibly helpful. I'm thinking I might add some more plants and hold off on the kulhis and see how that goes. I'd love to add driftwood but I'm not sure if I have the room.

I like your thinking. I bet an Amazon sword would look nice in your tank. Some day you will have those kuhlies. ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys! Just an update! I'm setting out today to get some jungles cars and a new cave in the hopes of perhaps creating a more kulhi friendly aquarium :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom