Cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had a Cory become aggressive? Do they every become aggressive? Went to a LFS was wanting 2 peppered corys to add to my tank. I already have 4. The Lady there said they recommend only 4 as they can become aggressive if they are crowded. What do you all think? Ive had 4 in a 10 gallon for 2 months and they were fine. Why can't i have more(8 is what i want) in my 29 gallon?

tomasm87 said:
Has anyone had a Cory become aggressive? Do they every become aggressive? Went to a LFS was wanting 2 peppered corys to add to my tank. I already have 4. The Lady there said they recommend only 4 as they can become aggressive if they are crowded. What do you all think? Ive had 4 in a 10 gallon for 2 months and they were fine. Why can't i have more(8 is what i want) in my 29 gallon?

Cories are peaceful. If they don't have enough space, I could imagine them getting aggressive, but that is just my thinking. I think the lady at the LFS was BSing you. Having 8 in a 29 gallon shouldn't be a big problem. I have 3 in my 10 and they are happy and buzzing around 24/7.

I have 6 panda cories and 6 false julii cories in two 29g tanks and I've not seen any aggressive behavior. They are much happier to be in a group.

I probably wouldn't put more than 4 in a 10g just because of the small footprint (mine like to race back and forth the length of the tank) but 8 in a 29g doesn't seem excessive, although I'm not sure of the adult size of the peppered.

Well it made since to me because ive been having problems in my 29 ever since ive added more. One cory had his fins nipped off. I had a serpae tetra thats a notorious nipper so i blamed him and removed him. then later i had a cory develop some sort of mouth sore. he died this morning. Went to the LFS and got some Melafix just in case i had another incident like that. When i got home one had a sore on its side and another has a sore on his mouth as well. So i added Melafix and now im waiting. I had 6 peppered corys and 2 sterbai corys. Now im down to 4 peppered and 2 sterbais. The only other fish that i have is a bristlenose. He may be the problem cause he is territorial and aggressive.

Corydoras

Hello tom...

A 10 G tank is too small for even the smallest Corys. Corydoras are bottom feeders and in their natural habitat, they have a lot of room to forage. I've never kept Corys in a tank smaller than a 30 G and that wasn't for very long before I moved them to a 45 G. I now keep them in a 55 G that has the gravel heavily planted.

My guess is that most aquarium fish would act differently in such a small area. It would be like keeping your dog or cat in a small bathroom in your house and never letting them out.

B

I would have to agree, I have 7 Cory's of 3 different species and they all get along fine... They bump each other out of the way when I stick freeze dried worms to the side of the tank but other then bumping each other I never EVER seen them harass or bother any of my fish...

I think the LFS was BS'n you on that

So because they have more room to swim are they unintentionally hurting themselves and one another? its what dogs do when coped up for so long then they are let loose. They run uncontrollably, dig, urinate everywhere, and occasionally they run out into the highway a get ran over. So are they hurting them selves or should i consider the bristlenose being the culprit?

tomasm87 said:
So because they have more room to swim are they unintentionally hurting themselves and one another? its what dogs do when coped up for so long then they are let loose. They run uncontrollably, dig, urinate everywhere, and occasionally they run out into the highway a get ran over. So are they hurting them selves or should i consider the bristlenose being the culprit?

It could be your bnp. They might be unintentionally going into its territory and are seen as competion for food.

lost another. Guess once they develop that sore on there mouth its over with. My cory with the sore on its side seems to be doing fine. Hes energetic like all the others. But i see no aggression between corys. Im rehoming my BN maybe the violence will stop. lol

Corys are not agressive toward ones of the same species. A good number is 6 in a 10G and 8 in a 20G. I have had a flock of Green Corys beat up on another species. Inless you have a large tank (55+) keep all you Corys the same species.

I watch my tank alot but i have never seen any of them show aggression towards one another. But i have seen my Bristlenose on several occasions chase and try to latch on to the corys. the corys that i have lost have both been smaller then the BN. My others are the same size maybe alittle bigger. Seems like more people havent had any aggression issues between corys. But a few have. Ill try my luck with 4 sterbai corys and 4 peppered corys. And ill rehome my BN. Hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom