Cory swimming all over tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
I was a little curious to see if anyone had input regarding behaviors of different types of corys. I have bandits, pandas, and leopards that stay put on the bottom. I added some rust and bronze corys later on and they are constantly swimming all over the tank. They are all healthy and eating just significantly different activity levels. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks!

Different fish behave differently, is what I've found.

I have Otos that are supposedly the same species, from different "batches", and one set hides while the other (which are also bigger) swim all over.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have a Julii Cory and he does that. I am pretty sure that is normal. Just means he is happy:)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My albino corys swim all over the place, but the others stay at the bottom. I'm sure it's fine- they look like they're having fun, and they've always been like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Each cory family is different. I think the julii are happy crazy little fish with a penchant for sky diving out of the tank.

The bronze and the "emerald cory" get their exercise but to a lesser degree than the julii.

The bronze, alone, not in a tank with the "emerald cory" is more active, but he tones down his activity level to parrot the emeralds when they are present.

The bronze will make friends and hang out near other fish, too.

The julii are hyper active kids, the bronze is a playful puppy, the emeralds are like old porch dogs.

I don't have any other cory... So, idk about the other types.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I have 8 Julii corys and I will witness 2-3 of them "racing" each other from one end of my tank to the other end. It's rather entertaining and it happens quite often.

Other days they will all be pretty mellow and enjoy making there way, in a conga line, all around the bottom of the tank.

Lol. My Sterba's cory is the laziest catfish in the world, and the bronze Cory cat is pretty lazy too. The peppered Cory is moderate- it really likes to eat the food off of the pre filter sponge. The albinos are always racing and every so often try to jump out of the tank, but never make it past the surface.

This is a good thread!!! I hope more people post about their cory and the traits of the different types of cory.

I never knew the albino were on active side. It makes them far more interesting now.

I like this post!

i have a bigger panda cory named Clyde... He swims everywhere, all over the glass its fun to watch!

the other panda named bubbles, is in my bubble wand all the time zipping around!

I have 3 others! I bought them all from same tank and they were playing in the group by themselves at the LFS, so I adopted them all so the trio remains together! they are the 3 musketeers of trouble lol.

they race each other and play tag with other fish^^

rn I have three that go all over the back wall! Maybe they will spwan or something...

though I think Clyde might be a girl >.<

I had a pepper cory and a panda both always stayed at the bottom just hung out and was very calm. The green or bronze not sure which it was normally stayed at the bottom but would go for a little swim once in a while, now my albinos are totally different, they are always swimming around sometimes its like they are off the wall excited i suppose maybe they are super happy go luck fish... anyway i lost all of them due to a fungus or bacteria in my tank (now resolved). One of the give aways that something was not right was that my pepper cory was constantly swimming mid tank back and forth non stop.. Turned out he was probably the sickest of all. :( so with all this said i would agree its personality just take note if they start to act differently, and look a little further into it then. for now i would say its albino and a spaz like mine are... this comes from a newbie, so you established people correct me if im wrong.

Aww :( I definitely agree, if they look or seem strange keep a close eye on them.

Our c. pygmaeus Pygmy catfish are adorable. They'll pigpile on a corner, hang out in little groups, sometimes one will hang out alone... Sometimes they're lazy little buggars.

I just love them :). We have 7.

I used to have albinos too and mine were definitely super active compared to my other cories...I did have health problems at one point and the activity level was an indicator so I just wanted to see if other people had experiences with more active species. Everyone in my tank seems fine I was just curious!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413261698.043136.jpg

I have 3 Julie, 2 peppered, 1 albino and they are all so different!

The albino is nuts! I thought i was crazy. So glad you brought this up! He seems to be a non stop kind of fish. Some times he will zoom to the surface like a missile and then go back to building sand castles like nothing ever happened. I've noticed at the different LFS that the albinos always seem to be the most active in their tanks.

My the julis are kind of chill. I see the biggest and the medium the most. The baby likes to perch in my ludwigiea like a monkey.

I rarely see the peppered cory cats. But if they're ever out they usually are together and with either the biggest Julie or the albino. They seem the most timid.

Do your cories go crazy right after a water change? Mine do this fun happy dance for hours after water change day.

Sent from my iPhone

FYI most "julii" Cories are actually Corydoras trilineatus. True julii are quite rare. They have tiny spots on their snout and body instead of squiggles.

The Cory sitting with the Pandas is a trilineatus btw.

Stores mislabel lots of Cories.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=378

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=508

Side by side
http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

Your fun fact of the day :)

ps I never call C trilineatus " False julii"
that's a terrible common name. I call them 3 Lined Cories which is what their name means.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My albinos (10g tank w Betta) are pretty mellow, except at feeding time. Then they start forging around for the food. And next thing you know, they are all after the same bit even though another piece is nearby.

My julii/trils (29g community) started off very, very active. They would swim up & down the glass when I first got them. After a few months they calmed down some. Rather than go vertical on the glass, they stay on the bottom much more. They tend to follow each other around and tumble-bumble. Sometimes they just hang out in a cave.

I love their personality!

Yeah, I have a cave like platform that was newly added to put my Buddha head on and from day 1 the cory claimed the cave part as their new hang out spot.

Hi coursair
Yes I know mine is a trilineatus...I've been searching everywhere local for more and can't find any. Also in the pic there's only one panda, the other two are bandits.

And yes, after water changes they are all a little more active. Lots of egg laying too!

Mine lay eggs after a water change too! Or at least I think it's the corys... The eggs are clusters of small white eggs on the walls, right? They always disappear in at most a week- they probably get eaten (which I'm happy about- I have no room for fry, anyway)

Back
Top Bottom