Corys and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what kind of gravel you have. If you have smooth, round gravel it should be fine. But any gravel with rough edges can harm them.

Yea mine is kinda both I kinda I've been wondering if should switch to sand but I don't know much of I to care and clean it like I would with a gravel vacuum

I have kept corys on gravel. They did fine for me, but if your gravel is sharp ended it can harm there barbels. If you do get them, just watch the barbels ( feelers on mouth)

Honestly they are happier on sand but can still live on gravel.

I kept my corys in a 55 g for awhile now, and they were just fine on the gravel, but went. OCD on the sand, sifting through it and spitting out the sand through the gills.

If you want sand I suggest pool filter sand it is very cheap! Or play sand. I bought black sand from PETCO. It cost $15 for a 20 pound bag but I needed 100 pounds for my 150 g tank so it was kind of expensive. But if your tank is 55 g or smaller switching to sand shouldn't cost too much!

Well I guess I should see if I can have Cory's I have a 20 gal high I'm a beginner what do u do to clean the sand while it's in the aquarium I know I need to wash it before I put it in

Same for gravel, but since the waste doesn't sink into you just run the gravel vac over it and it sucks it all up. If you have bottom dwellers sand is a must they love it!! IMO

To clean the sand just put it into a bucket and put a hose into it and rinse it. Dumping off the extra water until it runs clear.

During water changes, just let the suction hover over the sand to suck all the stuff up.

I agree PFS is cheap and really nice looking. Where i live $20 for 20 lbs at the LFS but $20 for 100 lbs at the pool store .

Maybe but most of your BB is on your filter so it shouldn't change it too much.

When you take out your gravel it may affect the parameters and you may have a mini-cycle. But when you do change the gravel for sand follow these steps.

1) do a 50% water change into 5g buckets
Put the fish in a bucket or two ( depending on fish) and plants in another bucket. Try to get a bubbler into each bucket with fish so they can breathe easy.

2)suck out the rest of the water and pour out leaving about 20% -10%of the water

3)scoop out all of your gravel into whatever container you need to.

4) pour in pre rinsed sand and fill up with the water in the buckets

5) replace all decor and plants, add fish

6) fill up tank with new water.

Good luck!

I am having issues with my cories. Their barbels are missing and even their mouths look worn. I am putting them in a glass bottom to see if they will heal up. Then I may add sand later. The only Cory I have with it's barbels still in tact is the one that's been living in the glass bottom tank.

I would keep the water super clean to help them heal. The barbels should grow back with time. Bt when they are healing if you dont already i would plan to change to sand or move the corys to a sand bottom tank if you can. I hope your little buddies get better soon!

I honestly cant say for sure. But i would say that the glass bottom may be better just because he sand bottom is still that rubbing against the sand. They do like to sift through sand. So i would do either and be satisfied with how they would heal.

What Cory's could a get for a 20 gal tall stock list
2 Platys already in tank
5 Cardinal tetras 3 in tank
4-6 Cory's
1 homey gourami

I have 6 peppered cories. They r pretty sweet. But I think need sand. IMO.

image-3829043079.jpg

Petsmart special!

Back
Top Bottom