Corys and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck with the sand! :) get 6 cories they do better in schools. IMO I like julii and sterbai cories the most

I had gravel in my 55 and changed to sand, $7.18 for 100 pounds at Lowe's, play sand, just make sure you wash it real well and when it looks clean, wash it again. After you put it in the tank, make sure you leave the filter off for a day and let the water settle out. The water will be filled with fine particles of sand and it can mess up your filter. I love the look of the sand, looks more natural and is much easier to keep clean.

Bubbles0oO said:
When you take out your gravel it may affect the parameters and you may have a mini-cycle. But when you do change the gravel for sand follow these steps.

1) do a 50% water change into 5g buckets
Put the fish in a bucket or two ( depending on fish) and plants in another bucket. Try to get a bubbler into each bucket with fish so they can breathe easy.

2)suck out the rest of the water and pour out leaving about 20% -10%of the water

I'm confused do I take out and put 50% back in or just take it out i k ow what a water change is I'm just kinda confused about that

You should try 30 pounds of sand. If you need more you can just get more

Clean sand, take out fish, drain tank, remove gravel, wash tank, put sand in, fill with water, let it settle, then put back in decor and fish :) good luck

Well it depends on how well you wash it... if you wash it really good it shouldn't cloud at all but if you do a bad job it will take hours to settle. But if you wash it good you should wait 15-20 minutes

Ok, it took me all day to change out my 55, keep your fish in a large enough container with a air stone going in it, don't let your filter media dry out, you will end up with a mini cycle going again and that's a pain. Wash the whole bag of sand, they come in 50 pound bags, keep what you don't use for later in an additional tank, you know you want another tank, we all do. After every thing is back together, keep an eye on all your water readings.

Well if you have a square tub instead of a bucket you can actually hang your filter on the tub if you fill it up enough but have your air stone running too.

That would be perfect! But get them out as fast as possible into their original tank.

Before I make my final decision what to you guys think of the gravel

Attachments

• image-2354627112.jpg
    image-2354627112.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3808659756.jpg
    image-3808659756.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom