*cry* well, i figured out my problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was using test strips. Yes, I know. Bad bad fish mommy.

The Ammonia was 0 according to the strips. I bought a test kit today and low and behold, fatal ammonia levels in both my tanks....1.5,

I did 25% water changes on both, but according to the test kit, they are already all doomed =*(

is there anything else i can do to save my fish?

keep changing water and keep fingers crossed is all i know. perhaps someone else will have something more hopeful for you. you poor thing. good luck.

Yes change 50% of your water that will get the levels well under 1ppm. Then do water changes as appropriate to keep under 1 until your tank finishes cycling.

You are a good fish mommy to care and to go git the other test kit when you thought there was a problem. GOOD fish mommy!

Keep doin' water changes--and I know others will have more useful advice than that.

GOOD fish mommy---- :)

-L

How often can/should i do them at this point? (water changes)

As often as necessary. If your change water is the same temp and KH, you can change water until the cows come home. Your fish will love you for it.

I would imagine a 50% right away and then 25% every couple of days will be just fine. Do your ammonia tests and keep it under 1 as close to .5 as possible.

1.5 ppm does not mean certain death. My brother Maher-shalal (name has been changed to protect the stupid) was leaving for work one tuesday when he notice that the filter on his 29 had stopped. He figured that he could take care of it after work. Thursday evening he remembered the non-functioning filter. By this time his plants had started to rot. His ammonia was up at 8 ppm. He moved the fish (11 oto's, 3 sae) and shrimp (8 cherry, 3 amano) to different tanks. He lost one otocinclus and nothing else.

Ammonia is a slow poison, acting over time, damaging the fish. With improved water conditions, the fish should improve.

good news and bad news:

I did a 25% water change with no change to ammonia level

I waited about 2 hours and did a second 50% water change with some results:

29 tank down to 1.0

20 tank down to about .75

all fish are more active and gills are slightly less red now than they were. No one is dead, everyone is eating. My Cichlids are looking a little stressed as follows

Electric blue baby - ok, fast fin movement
Yellow Lab baby - a little red around the gills, fast fins
Malawhi golden - fine, but hiding a lot
Butterfly cichlids (two -- also known as rams/blue rams) -- showing dark stripes and dark colors as if aggrivated, otehrwise ok
Pleco - sucking away.

Upstairs:

blue opal gouri - Hiding a bit, but otherwise ok. picking at algae
red dwarf gouri - fine, a bit aggro tho
3 paradise gouris - fine fine fine, eating like pigs and playing a lot
2 remaining baby cory cats - seem fine, one a little red around the gills
pleco - hardy bastard sucking away

thanks. if they make it through the night i will be thrilled. i think another water change tomorrow might do the trick.

P.S. as i posted on my other thread...the ammonia cause was litter boxes too close to the tank i think.

When are you testing after your water changes? You need to wait at least a couple of hours after water changes to get accurate readings. Keep up with the 50% water changes as many as needed and everything should be ok.

While 1.5ppm can be fatal, I've had neons live in almost 3ppm ammonia for a couple days (i didn't know it was this high and did a water change when I discovered it). They are usually sensitive.

I would follow everyone's advice on the water changes. You can do one everyday if thats what it takes.

Is the ammonia down now that you figured out the problem?

update:

did 50% water changes again tofay and still hovering at about .75 each tanks. fish look even better and are doing well.

Good to hear. Keep up the good work. This will be over soon enough. Keep those ammonia and nitrite levels under 1 ppm.

Great to hear, as Rich said your fish will be fine if you keep up the work. It may require a lot of PWC until your amonia is back to normal but you and the fish will be better in the end.

Not a bad fish mommy at all!

Back
Top Bottom