Culturing Mosquito Larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since I think my Betta is on a hunger strike. So I am trying to feed it live foods. Since mosquito larvae are it's natural food I thoght I should feed him it. But I don't know how to get them and I know my LFS doesn't carry them so can someone help...please ^_^

Do they use pestisides in your area? Leaving a some standing water outside should get you some larvae without much of a problem other then pestisides...

some areas spray with trucks.. and sometimes your neigbors will spray.. if you live near a field of an agricultual product.. ect. ect. ect......

Well I have not seen a truck spraying stuff in the air and I don't live by any farms ect. I don't know if neighbors spary. They might be annoyed by mosquitos becuase I live by a swamp/creek.

If there is a creek connected to the swamp there is likely some agg. runnoff... :( But if there isnt any spraying in the area you might be able to put out some standing water....

well they are kinda connected. During the spring it is a swamp(where you could catch tadpoles...its sooo fun LOL) and in the summer it just dries up. The swamp is formed by the creek which in spring overflows with water and it flows into the lower lands. And eventually it fillup to a small lake. But in the creek area it is wet all year round. I was surprised that the creek had a large amount of goldfish in it. It also had a turtle which I have been trying to catch for some time now....what is runoff?

Go to this website to find out about spraying. Usually residents are informed of abatement programs, but doesnt hurt to double check. That really only applies if youre catching larvae in swamps and such. Usually they dont spray in your back yard. I've never done it myself, but leaving a small bowl of standing water should get you some larvae.

Are you sure youve tried everything else? Live food carries risks with it of parasites, so just be prepared. My betta didn't eat for almost 2 weeks when I first got him, so be patient.

Runoff refers to the chemicals and pesticides that farms and chemical plants can produce running down into streams and rivers from rainfall and gravity.

http://www.msmosquito.com/agencies.html

By the way.. If I were to feed live foods I would try with a clean culture of daphnia or white worms.. there is less risk with a clean culture.. HTH

Black worms are okay, but if you want to culture mosquitos, take a pail, put a little soil or dried manure in the bottom and fill with water. Mosquitos like putrid water, and will lay their eggs there. If you have West Nile virus in your area, I'm sure your neighbours won't appreciate it. If you are contientious about harvesting them, you will actually lower the mosquito population in your area.

if he's on a hungar strike, then stop trying to feed him for about 5 days, after the 5th day just drop 1 or 2 beta pellets in there, if he doesn't eat them in a couple minuets scoop them back out and try again in a couple days. In the meantime keep the water in his tank/bowl well maintained.

Intentionally breeding mosquitoes and removing the larvae before they emerge as adults can actually reduce the biting population in an area... just be sure to harvest every 3-4 days (they emerge in 7-10 IIRC)

We have literally millions of mosquitos this year. They tell us 11 generations so far have hatched. Come on up and you can have tons of larvae!! :wink:

ive tried mosquito.. not very fun. early spring its okay, but closer to summer they grow faster, then flyu away. about 2 months ago i tried netting as many as i could. one day i went for the larvae and mosquitos flew out. probally like 20. then i dumped the whole thing.

daphnia is probally the easiest

you can find it in like rivers and lakes etc, their those little black things that swim around. like sandish size?

I tried feeding my betta again but he just puts it in his mouth then spits it out. Its been a week since he has not been eating. I am afraid that he will starve himself to death :cry:

Back
Top Bottom