Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GazMoor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've kept fish for a couple of years now and am pretty savvy on the cycling process.
Let me explain the situation I have which is confusing me though lol

I've had a fully established 190L tropical tank set up for about 2 years and recently moved house, after setting everything back up in my new house I've been battling huge ammonia spikes for about a week. I thought I'd killed all the friendly bac during the move.

I have a canister filter which I did not disturb during the move, leaving the original water and filter material inside.

I've been doing 30% water changes as and when the ammonia jumped over the 2ppm- last time I done a pwc was about 24hrs ago.

I've just done a water test and my readings are now-

Amm .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

This morning they were

Amm nearly 2 ppm (ish)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

(Wasn't able to do a pwc at this time,
been worried about my fishies all day lol and lo-and behold, no losses and all looks dandy- thankfully)

What happened to the Nitrite spike?

Does this sound like the tank is just about cycled again or is something wrong?

Using Api drop test kit, well in date.
Tap water readings 0 - 0 - 0 to all.

Many thanks :)

GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

My guess is most likely if you removed the gravel you stirred up a lot of detritus which would cause an ammonia spike. I've caused ammonia spikes when I've done huge plant rescaping that disrupted a lot of the substrate. You'll need to keep up on WC's to keep ammonia no higher than .25ppm and can use something like Amquel (not sure I spelled it right since I don't use it), AmmoLock, or Prime to convert ammonia to a non toxic form. Just follow directions for use.

As for no nitrite spike it may not have shown up yet or there is enough of that bacteria, Nitrobactor, already or still present to convent any nitrite to nitrates. BUT considering your reading 0 nitrates I suspect your nitrite spike just hasn't shown up yet. It won't happen over night so you'll just have to be patient and keep up on water changes. With the bacteria in your filter I would think your tank should cycle pretty quickly.

Thanks Rivercats.

I'll keep up with the water changes until I the ammonia and nitrite continue to read 0. I just found it strange that my nitrate was at 5ppm without getting a nitrite spike.

I had to remove all gravel to move to the new house and a lot of tank dried up which I think killed most of the friendly bac in tank.

Thanks for advice :)

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

I've also been dosing with prime to minimise deaths as I hate the fact I'm having to cycle tank with my fish in there.

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

If your ammonia is getting high that quickly, it suggests you have indeed lost a lot of BB in the move.

My guess would be that conditions within the canister filter if water was left in, would quickly become anoxic. Without oxygen, the bacteria would have survived for a while by utilizing oxygen attached to any nitrate in the water and organic matter within the canister (de-nitrification) This then causes the release of nitrogen gases, which may also be dangerous in a sealed canister.

Probably you don't do often gravel vaccum and a lot of % of the BBs were in the substrate... Probably the move removed them...

For now you can dose Prime, it convert ammonia to less toxic for two days... You'll have to do PWC each day to control ammonia levels, you're probably experiencing mini/cycle. It require PWC...

Thanks MrVincent :)

I always vacuum out my gravel but possibly not as good as I should lol (evidently).

Thanks for advice :)

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

Thanks pipwalters.

Was worried about the lack of oxygen in the canister but hoped they'd survive.

Wee update on my recent test.

0 amm
0 nitrite
Upwards of 5 nitrate

Still no nitrite spike (may have missed it though)

Hopefully back on track.

Thanks everyone for advice :)

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

Keep monitoring ammonia/nitrites for a possible eventual spike.

It is possible dead organic matter were into the substrate too, and the heterotrophics bacterias converted all the crap into ammonia, so you got a single spike that won't happen again. I hope for you it's that, it would mean now your tank is clean lol.

Test water each three days for 1 or 2 weeks, it won't hurt.

Brilliant advice mrvincent :) keeping close eye on it. Will update on my progress.

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

Back