Cycling 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got my 55 gallon last week and set it up straight away :D
After afew floods with the filter and stuff we finally got it running. I filled it with normal tap water and added everything necessary.
The next day I took out about 1 gallon and replaced it with previous tank water.
Umm the second day I took about half out and replaced it with some more cycled tank water and the third day I added two goldfish. For the rest of the week I kept switching about 1 gallon with tank water from my other tanks.
If I continue doing 1 gallon water changes with pre-cycled water, and then every week about 5 gallons, how long would it take to start my female betta sorority?

pattyfurg said:
So I got my 55 gallon last week and set it up straight away :D
After afew floods with the filter and stuff we finally got it running. I filled it with normal tap water and added everything necessary.
The next day I took out about 1 gallon and replaced it with previous tank water.
Umm the second day I took about half out and replaced it with some more cycled tank water and the third day I added two goldfish. For the rest of the week I kept switching about 1 gallon with tank water from my other tanks.
If I continue doing 1 gallon water changes with pre-cycled water, and then every week about 5 gallons, how long would it take to start my female betta sorority?

Water from a tank that is cycled contains barely any BB at all. It will not help cycle a tank. You are doing a fish in cycle. The goldfish will be swimming in their own 'poison' if you do not do proper water changes with fresh water. I will link the guide at the bottom of my post.

Add some used filter media from another tank to help jump start the cycle. Do you have a test kit? You need to test the water and do water changes as needed. Every time the ammonia or nitrite is 0.25ppm do a water change. A typical cycle takes 4-8 weeks.

The use of starter fish is a very outdated and cruel method of cycling. There are ways of cycling with fish that dot require the sacrifice of any 'hardy' fish like goldfish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

D:
I took my fish out straight away...
Sorry, every website said the best way to cycle the tank is with goldfish because they're very hardy and they bring good bacteria to make the tank suitable :( the person who sold it to me said the same thing :/

I need to buy nitrite and nitrate test kits because I only have ammonia and Ph.
With the filter media do I just put it in the water..?

Sorry lol whats BB?

pattyfurg said:
D:
I took my fish out straight away...
Sorry, every website said the best way to cycle the tank is with goldfish because they're very hardy and they bring good bacteria to make the tank suitable :( the person who sold it to me said the same thing :/

I need to buy nitrite and nitrate test kits because I only have ammonia and Ph.
With the filter media do I just put it in the water..?

Sorry lol whats BB?

The goldfish starter method is the old way of doing it. Some people are stuck in the whole 'you have to sacrifice a few hardy fish to cycle a tank' way. But we know better on AA!

Getting the test kits is a great thing to do. :) They will let you keep track of the cycle, where its at and if its finished. The seeded/used filter media can be put straight into the new filter. Once it's there the BB (beneficial bacteria) need ammonia to consume from fish or pure ammonia. Pure ammonia is near impossible to find in Australia so the fish in cycle method (or fishless with a dead prawn) is the way to go.

I'd return the goldfish ASAP. You can add your bettas straight to the tank with all their filters media in the new filter. Test the water everyday and if the ammonia or nitrite is over .25ppm do a water change.

Mumma.of.two said:
The goldfish starter method is the old way of doing it. Some people are stuck in the whole 'you have to sacrifice a few hardy fish to cycle a tank' way. But we know better on AA!

Getting the test kits is a great thing to do. :) They will let you keep track of the cycle, where its at and if its finished. The seeded/used filter media can be put straight into the new filter. Once it's there the BB (beneficial bacteria) need ammonia to consume from fish or pure ammonia. Pure ammonia is near impossible to find in Australia so the fish in cycle method (or fishless with a dead prawn) is the way to go.

I'd return the goldfish ASAP. You can add your bettas straight to the tank with all their filters media in the new filter. Test the water everyday and if the ammonia or nitrite is over .25ppm do a water change.

Ok so all I need is the nitrite and nitrate test kits and keep track of the tank everyday?
I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to get some stuff so what would you suggest to get while I'm there?

pattyfurg said:
Ok so all I need is the nitrite and nitrate test kits and keep track of the tank everyday?
I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to get some stuff so what would you suggest to get while I'm there?

Those two kits and prime. :) PWC when they readings are over .25ppm and that's it.

Mumma.of.two said:
Those two kits and prime. :) PWC when they readings are over .25ppm and that's it.

Sorry one more question ^.^
should I still add the previous tank water or just leave it be?

pattyfurg said:
Sorry one more question ^.^
should I still add the previous tank water or just leave it be?

Well it depends how you go about it. Are you adding your bettas in from separate cycled tanks that have filters? You don't need to add the old water in. Just make sure you acclimate them to the new water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Well it depends how you go about it. Are you adding your bettas in from separate cycled tanks that have filters? You don't need to add the old water in. Just make sure you acclimate them to the new water.

Ok so I got nitrite and nitrate test kits and some stability ^.^
thanks for your help XD

Back
Top Bottom