Cycling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vengitto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just wanted to get some input on cycling my new 150 gal tank... What type of fish and how many should I get?

Sent from my XT1064 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should go with something that you plan to keep stocked in there. Why not go fishless though? When I cycled my 150 it took 3 and a half weeks using ammonia and I was able to add a large amount of my final stock at once as opposed to slowly having to add it if I were to have gone with a fish in cycle.

Plus with a tank that size it's really nice not to have to do constant water changes to keep your fish safe.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm relatively new to fish keeping and am cycling my tank with fish in it and for piece of mind next time I'm going to do a fish less cycle and just add fish food to create the ammonia. I have to do frequent water changes to keep the ammonia levels low.

As Caleb mentioned, danios are hardy, I've seen people use goldfish.
I have always done fish in, of course I would not use Discus or other high maintenance fish for a fish in cycle but example.... My last fish in cycle about 5 years ago was done with juvenile African cichlids, kept up with water changes and was careful not to overfeed, took just a little over a month to cycle.
Fast forward to today, still have have some of the fish, some of them out grew my tank and were given away.

Fishless cycle all the way. Fish in cycle is way too messy. Plus fishless cycle u can control your levels better

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I transferred some of the media from my 75gal and 55gal.... That should jump start the bb colonies.

I transferred some of the media from my 75gal and 55gal.... That should jump start the bb colonies.

Way to go, if a another cycled tank is available.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom