cycling WITH fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I'm surprised that the biospira advice doesn't seem to come up much. I mean yeah it's the easy way out, and you don't learn anything about the nitrogen cycle doing it that way, but it keeps impatient people (like me) from ending up with a tank full of dead fish.

I didn't know what a cycle was for my first tank (didn't cycle, didn't test, and only changed the water cause my fish didn't look well). I used biospira for the second one. This time around I'll probably try to seed my tank from a friends and then do a fishless one.

Re: Biospira

This time last June I started my 20 gallon FW tank. Being a newbie, I cycled with the 4 Harlequin Rasboras. After about 50 days of being patient and doing frequent partial water changes, I broke down. I finaaly purchased a bag of Biospira and within 5 days, the tank was cycled. So, I did learn about the cycle process and about Biospira.

What are you talking about, two goldies in a bowl with no filter? The poor fish! And what bad advice from a fish store. You need a filter for these fish and at least 10 gallons for each fish.

From what I have read here most of the bio support products (live bacteria)- perhaps with the exception of biospira- are not particularly useful for a fishless cycle... but because I did not know this when the lsf sold it to me I used it anyway because I assumed that it couldn't hurt. I don't know if it made a difference but my cycle took just under 3 weeks, which I have read seems to be fairly quick... so unless it actually does hurt (in which case some of the knowledgeable people here will let us know) you might want to suggest that she uses it anyway? I just used a propriety one- it was Big Al's one brand. I think I added a few capfuls every 4 days or so. Even if it doesn't help, it at least gives the impatient ones among us (me) the feeling that they are doing something.

Just a thought.
p.s. but I cycled with dead shrimp so the scenario might be differenct if she plans on dosing with ammonia

Elle2 said:
From what I have read here most of the bio support products (live bacteria)- perhaps with the exception of biospira- are not particularly useful for a fishless cycle... but because I did not know this when the lsf sold it to me I used it anyway because I assumed that it couldn't hurt. I don't know if it made a difference but my cycle took just under 3 weeks, which I have read seems to be fairly quick... so unless it actually does hurt (in which case some of the knowledgeable people here will let us know) you might want to suggest that she uses it anyway? I just used a propriety one- it was Big Al's one brand. I think I added a few capfuls every 4 days or so. Even if it doesn't help, it at least gives the impatient ones among us (me) the feeling that they are doing something.

It seems that the "live bacteria" products are not effective because the beneficial bacteria can't really survive in those non-refrigerated/on-the-shelf containers. They usually provide supplemental enzymes that help bacteria reproduce quicker, but not the actual bacteria themselves.

The only product that has been noted to be successful is Bio-Spira, which is supposed to be kept refrigerated until used. The refrigeration requirement is one reason that some stores are unwilling to carry the product. With Bio-Spira, fish can be added immediately - so they can provide an ammonia source to keep the Bio-Spira bacteria well fed. The ammonia addition (fishless cycle) could also be done, but if you're going to spend that much money on Bio-Spira then you probably don't want to wait even 1 week. ;)

Back
Top Bottom