Diatom Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish924

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm having a problem with diatoms in my freshwater tank (20 gal). I've done research online but I seem to get conflicting info about diatoms.

My tank is established and about 6-months old. It's a planted tank with 4 fish (mollies and dwarf gourami). I have always cleaned my tank weekly with a 20-30% water change. For the past month or so, the brown algae comes back a couple days after my cleaning. I have white gravel, so I notice it easily. Each week after my cleaning, I add a dose of API Stress Zyme and API Leaf Zone. I also dose with Flourish Excel every other day for the plants. I also use root tabs monthly.

Since I've had the diatom problem, I've added a bag of phosguard to my filter media and I didn't notice any difference. I've also added air stones to the tank after reading that perhaps I do not have enough water movement.

I've read that too much lighting can cause a diatom problem but I've also read that not enough lighting could be the problem. My tank lights are on a automatic timer and set to be on for 10 hours a day. Is this my problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom