disgusting weird thing in tank, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi

a couple of days ago i noticed something gross in my tank. i have literally no idea what it is and i am really worried.
plus it looks disgusting.
any ideas?

its the whitish/clear thing in the middle of the stems of the plant, some sort of bubble sac...

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00143.jpg
    DSC00143.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 79
is it fuzzy? i cant tell from the pics but almost looks like some food that has grown this "moldy" stuff on it... ive had that happen before... if not, i have no clue

yeah sorry for the bad pics, best i could do though.
no it doesn't look fuzzy, is looks smooth, almost rubbery...

You can take it out and dispose of it..

I agree that from what you describe it sounds like a snail egg sack. Since you do have live plants, there is a high probability that is what it is. Even if you have not seen any snails in the tank, it could have hitch-hiked in.

i do have 4 or 5 snails kicking about the tank. they are very small though. is that true they could lay an egg sack about 5 times the size of them?

after reading a bit it makes sense, as i just raised the temp of my aquarium by a couple of degrees, and apparently that makes them breed.

would it be best to get rid of it or leave the snails to hatch?

if i do get rid of them, can i put them in my cold water tank for the goldfish and weather loaches to eat?

Personally, I'd let 'em hatch and use the extras as fish food. That certainly won't hurt anything... but if you don't want the hassle of clearing out the excess snails, get rid of it before they hatch and disappear into the tank :)

It looks awfully large to be pond snail eggs. Those "eggs" are at least 4x the diameter of the plant's leaf stems. What tank is it in? What fish are in there? Are any of them new? Is the plant new?

i got my boyfriend to get rid of the thing, cos it was freaking me out.
you're right it was very big wasn't it, especially considering the snails in there are titchy!
yep i have some new guppies and some of the plants are new...

Back
Top Bottom