DIY Waterfall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all...
I've noticed that many of you have beautiful paludariums or terrariums, and that your DIY skills and knowledge about creating beautiful structures is abundant.
I'm hoping to enlist your assistance.
I am going to try to set up a waterfall for my sister's hermit crab tank. They're getting upgraded (finally) and I think they deserve a wonderful new home. I know they'd love a waterfall with a pool at the bottom to climb in and drink out of; plus, it'd help with keeping the humidity higher, from what I've read.
I would want to use real rocks, as I've heard foam or other materials don't hold up well to climbing crabs. It would be a small waterfall that trickles down into a shallow pond type thing for them to claim around in.
I don't want to buy a premade one, as I've heard most are nightmares to deal with, break easily, or the bottom pool is the wrong depth or size and that causes the crabs to get stuck and drown.
So I decided I'd DIY one.
However, I have no clue how to do this. I don't know how to make the water go through the system, or what materials to use to glue the rocks together. Most of my Google searches have been fruitless, and on the rare occasion I found something useful, I couldn't understand half of what I was reading.
If anyone has experience with this sort of thing and has the time to help, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
DreaminginBlue

I've never had a Paludarium, but my wife apparently had several before we met. She said she always used aquarium grade silicon to glue stones together, and used plastic coated hardware cloth ( a wire mesh you can buy at most hardware or outdoor stores) as a molded base to shape the waterfall. The pump simply sits inside the hardware cloth mold and is hidden from view. You should be able to bend and shape the hardware cloth to any configuration, then simply attach the stones to it with silicon. Not much info, sorry, but I hope it helped a bit.

My thoughts on this what I would do is like above said about building it and use a pump from a cheap waterfall that you find in a dollar store cause your not going to have a lot of water or I'd just look for a cheap waterfall that the design would be nice to add

Back
Top Bottom