New DIY Waterfall Build! Stocking Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnygromis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently cycling a new 40 breeder tank. This will be my sixth tank. But I'm extremely indecisive. I wanted to do a Chidongo saulosi colony but there sold out everywhere. I was thinking about a pair of convicts but now I want the tank somewhat planted. In other tanks I already have appistos, blue rams, EBA's, firemouths, Parrots, angels so I want something other than those. Just wanted to hear some suggestions of somewhat larger fish ideas that would go well in a 40 breeder. It's currently running with a sunsun 302 and a sponge filter. Will aquascape more based on what fish I decide on but I'm leaning towards a planted tank.

view

If you already have cycled tanks, why not just grab some filter media from them to instant cycle this tank?

Are they goldfish in the tank?
If yes, are they staying or going to another tank?

Depending on tank dimensions (length x width x height) and water chemistry (GH, KH, pH), you could possibly go for rainbowfish. The link below has all the known Australian and New Guinea rainbowfish that have been described to date.
Melanotaeniidae and Pseudomugilidae

I do have some filter media in there, those goldfish just speed up the "instant cycle" but they will be going to my friends oscar. Thanks for the suggestion! I have bosemani rainbows in a different tank. Any ones in particular you like most?

I have bosemani rainbows in a different tank. Any ones in particular you like most?

I'm the wrong person to be asking because I had them all :)

Some of the more colourful bigger species of rainbowfish are Melanotaenia boesemani (you already have), M. lacustris, M. herbertaxelrodi, M. trifasciata (Goyder River), Glossolepis incisus, Glossolepis wanamensis.

Some of the blue-eyes (Pseudomugils) are nice too but are a lot smaller than the above mentioned fish and their colours are nowhere near as bold. Pseudomugil gertrudae and luminatus are pretty, as are the 3 main varieties of P. signifer. P. cyandorsalis is lovely if kept in brackish or sea water. I also like Iriatherina werneri (New Guinea variety has the best colour) and the different colour varieties of Rhadinocentrus ornatus.

That sounds like a lot of fish for a 40 G breeder tank. The parrots and angelfish can get quite large.

I don't have those in this tank those are in my other 5 tanks, I was just listing those to omit those fish as options because I was looking for fish I don't currently have.

Have you ever found a lid that properly fits a 40 G breeder? I have not.

Yes! the topfins 35 inch glass canopy fits perfectly only 30 dollars as well

Thanks, Johnny, I think Petsmart sells Top fin. Does this lid require a middle cross support? My 40s have none, but sure I can fabricate something workable

If you need coverglass for the top of an aquarium, go to a glazier (glass shop) and get them to cut some glass to size. Ask them to smooth the edges for you and get glass that is 4, 5 or 6mm thick because it is less likely to chip and crack compared to thinner glass (2 or 3mm thick).

I prefer to use acrylic or plexiglass. It costs a lot more at Lowes where I shop than glass, but it’s lighter weight and unbreakable. I have a sloppy mess of different sized lid pieces & plexiglass on that tank now & decided to improve the aesthetics & function after seeing the baby saulosi. I’m looking for the Top Fin lid someone here suggested, a single solid acrylic sheet, & possibly glass now that you mention it, but only if it’s not too difficult to hinge it for feeding.

I've had no issues with it so far. It seems pretty sturdy. If you need that ease of mind you could definitely fabricate something. But I wouldn't be too worried about it.

No, I want to find the Top Fin lid you have. My fabrications always look sloppy.

Back
Top Bottom