don't know what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
as many of us have in this hobby... i didnt properly research my fish before i purchased them... and now im having tons of problems with fin-nipping and aggression... what should i do... all the species i have should be kept in schools... but of course i have 2 of each... i have as follows...

2 serpae tetras
2 black skirt tetras
2 congo tetras
2 red-eye tetras
2 neon tetras
1 angelfish
5 red-line rasboras
2 bamboo shrimp
and 1 zebra loach...

i know other than the angel and the rasboras all those fish are in the wrong amounts and thats probably my problems... what should i do i really like barbs... tiger and cherry barbs... should i take the whole lot back and get barbs? im pretty sure barbs would nip the angel all the same... i would like to keep the bamboo shrimp cuz they rock and the rasboras... maybe get a few more rasboras and some barbs would that work... its a 29-gal tank by the way... water params are awesome...

lemme know guys.. thanks in advance...

-Larry

Hey Larry, this is JMO, but I've never had a problem with only having a few tetras. On the contrary, often I would buy enough for a small school (4 or 6 or so) only to have a few die within a few months, and then the remaining ones would last a very long time.

I think they're definitely more comfortable in schools, but it is not 100% necessary.

Depending on your LFS's policies, you can return some fish (quite a hard thing to do sometimes).

You only have 17 fish, which is a fairly balanced bioload for that sized tank. Depending on your filtration you could add two more of a few types of tetras. I like my tanks overstocked and overfiltered. Depending upon your fish type (territorial or not) it could be a problem but I don't see anything in your livestock that is super-territorial.

Tetras are not particularly "dirty" fish in that they're messy eaters or create a lot of waste; at least not relative to other fish. SO maybe you want to just get rid of one type of tetra and buy 2 or 3 more each of another kind.

One thing I'd like to know: WHo is the culprit for the nipping?

As to your latter questions: absolutley some barbs and rasboras would work. Depending on your barbs they may or may not be nippy. It's sort of just the luck of the draw.

Tetras are generally peaceful, until they get hungry...then watch out !
They are related to pirhanas !

I've seen nasty aggressive serpae tetras before, and I generally avoid them.
Tetras also like to school, but you have equal amounts of all species...this sets up a competitive environment for them all.

I would remove the aggressive fish, and increase the numbers of non-aggressive fish.
Hope that helps !

the serpaes and the congos are doing most of the nipping from what ive seen... but at times ive actually seen everything but the neons and the angel nipping... im just thinking i wanna take the fish back and start fresh... keep the rasboras and get some tiger barbs... not sure tho... havent decided... i have an albino cory cat in there too forgot about him... but he doesnt bother anyone... i now havent seen the smaller of the 2 bamboo shrimp lately either... i fear he may have fallen prey to somebody... i thought i saw skin from molting... but now that i think about it, it mightve been a corpse... oh well... still got some thinking to do... my lfs will take them back its not a problem

One trick I use sometimes, it to totally rearrange the aquarium, set up plenty of hiding spots. Sometimes fish get territorial , and are just protecting thier turf. If you move stuff around , then feed them all right away, it tends to reduce aggression. Make sure you have lots of plants, decorations , rocks.

ive tried that 3 times dimmy... works for about 24 hours... then the chasing starts again

then theres really nothing else you can do. I would remove the most aggressive fish first, and wait and see if things calm down.

sounds like a plan to me... stinks tho cuz the serpaes and the congos have the most color in the tank... and their the most aggressive

I agree.
You can keep a small school of serpaes togheter, if you like. It does suck though.

It always seems to work that way, doesn't it? You see all these impressive, pretty, colorful fish at the LFS, and then you realize none of them can live together in your tank.

Thats because in nature, these fish would be normally be put this close together. Aquariums are really a form of nature concentration.
They may look natural, but theyre not at all.

Imagine if aliens captured a bunch of different humans - all diff ages, races, cultures, and put 20 of them in a living room, and said " ok, you guys all get along now"

well ive decided... im gonna take the whole lot but the cory cat and the rasboras back... im gonna get some tiger barbs and a few more rasboras... have a nice school of 6 or 7 tigers... that should be cool... tiger barbs are nice looking fish

Back
Top Bottom