Dwarf puffer tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 65litre tank which is completely empty, and I'm itching to get it set up, and on the go, however I do have a fair few things to get for it I think before I can proceed. In my mind I want to do a dwarf puffer tank, but I don't know which types I could keep in there, and what kind of tank mates. As I want it as a puffer tank I will design it completely round them and once I've got a clear picture in my head I can go from there.
Does anyone know which kind is best to keep, and what tank mates I could do in it?
It currently has an under gravel filter, but its not been used for a few months so I will need to cycle it, and I was planning on buying an extra filter also for it.
Opinions would be appreciated, thanks

I've been reading a lot about malabar dwarf puffer and they're awesome you could have probably up to 4 in there but I wouldn't do any other fish until you get a better understanding of them

I read in another thread on here (my memory is the worst) that puffers can only withstand fw/brackish as fry and really need to be in saltwater.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? Thanks!

I read in another thread on here (my memory is the worst) that puffers can only withstand fw/brackish as fry and really need to be in saltwater.

I think it depends on the type of puffer. Dwarf puffers are freshwater from what I've read.

It depends on the breed of puffers. Dwarf, and South American Puffers live in freshwater there whole life. Figure 8 puffers are a light to mild brackish fish, some say they need fill marine as adults. And Spotted start out in mild brackish, but should be gradually increased to full marine.

librarygirl said:
This is a pretty good site I think: Dwarf Puffers : Home

You could do 1 male and 3 females.

That is a really good site, I think my tank works out as 17 uk gallons so I think 3 would be a good number. I've loads to read up and have time on my side really I just wanted to see if I was able to plan ahead for puffers. Ideally I'd rather stick to FW or brackish rather than marine

Anouther thing to keep in mind with these guys is they love to explore. Make sure you have tons of plants and hideing places for them to look around.

Do you know what kind of substrate and decor ie driftwood, rocks etc that they prefer?

lots of plants, soft substrate and other decor because these guys don't have scales, so they have sensitive skin.

Do you know what kind of substrate and decor ie driftwood, rocks etc that they prefer?

If I was planning out a puffer tank,regardless of size, I'd go with: sand, many interesting dw pieces, clay pots arranged in different positions and a ton of plants. Remember, it does not have to be high tech plants all the time.

I'll have to look at what plants I can keep with the lights in the tank, the only thing I need to buy before hand is a stand. I'm running an extra filter in my cycled 69g community tank, in the hope that it will cycle in time for when I set the other one up, try to speed up the boring part lol :)

You can also have some otos. I've read that otos are the only fish dwarf puffers will tolerate. Some might be too aggressive but it's worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom