Febreze in my fish tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

I was just starting up my brackish tank again (after fish tank wipeout), and I was just about done, till I noticed the water to be foggy and bubbly at the top. I thought it was febreze because I sprayed the room earlier, so I got a bucket of water and sprayed Febreze in it to see if it was the same as the fish tank water, and it was! What should I do?!

Thanks

I would go with a rather large water change, like 55-70% and see how it goes from there.

Honestly in that situation (getting chemicals in the tank) I would take the fish out in a bucket and replace all the water then re acclimate them to the tank. That's just my opinion though, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing there are any pollutants in my water like that.

Honestly in that situation (getting chemicals in the tank) I would take the fish out in a bucket and replace all the water then re acclimate them to the tank. That's just my opinion though, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing there are any pollutants in my water like that.

+1

I would also add GAC to the filtration if it isn't already, or make sure the GAC is fresh if it is already part of yer filtration.

WYite

My water now is totally clear, yet I didn't do anything! How do I check if there still is anything in my fish tank?

My water now is totally clear, yet I didn't do anything! How do I check if there still is anything in my fish tank?

Just 'cuz the water is clear doesn't mean the chemical has left. I don't know anything 'bout the chemistry of Febreeze, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's water soluble. It very well could have dissolved into the water and be in the tank, invisible. If it's in there, it could be toxic. I don't know how long it would take to break down, or if/how long it would be before it is absorbed by GAC.

Seriously, a 100% water change is necessary to ensure that any fish ya add aren't affected. Freshen the activated carbon in the filter or add some, I don't know that the Febreeze would be absorbed but it can't hurt. Take out and rinse any decorations in clean water and wipe down the sides with a clean cloth. Ya might even fill the tank with fresh water and drain it a couple times, wiping the sides and stirring the substrate to ensure there is minimal or no chemical left.

I know this seems extreme, but it doesn't take much of a harmful chemical to irritate, cause harmful effects, or even kill fish. In the end it's always best to play it safe.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom