Feeding Clown Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suprised

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what other people feed their clown knives. So far the only thing ive been able to get him to eat is turkey that i dangled in front of him and sinking algea wafers. He ignores food on the top. Ive been looking for some kind of sinking cichlid pellet but i cant find one. What do you guys feed yours?

I'm kind of surprised he eats algae wafers. I had a clown knife years ago and he would only eat moving food. Hence, I went through a lot of feeder guppies.

I have a Black ghost, and if left in peace, he eats EVERYTHING. Sometimes I hand feed him to ensure his portion :bloodworms, krill, wafer, pellets, algae wafer, pre-paclaged baby sand gobies, scallops, sardines, ghost shrimp, snails...not snagged any tankmates yet.
They eat the same wild diet as Clowns don't they?

There is a very interesting article in the March FAMA about knifefish, and the author recommend a diet of tubifex, bloodworms, feeder guppies, protein-rich flakes and shrimp pellets.The food needs to get to the bottom, as they won't feed at the top. The clown knife apparently preys on sleeping fish, so raising your own feeder guppies might be the ticket.

I don't think so Christmasfish. They're both knife fish but their life styles are completely different. Black Ghosts are nocturnal and a prey ambusher. Clown Knives are active pursuers. JMO from observing them.

Heh..
mine must be a defective model... ^_^ Or spoiled...
He eat at top half the time.

I got him to be a culling machine and he allows tetras to pester him.
They even sleep in his dish! at NIGHT. :lol:
Thats okay, Wu the polypterus will take his job. He can jus tbe pretty...

I,ve also got a black ghost. He eats anything. He mostly feeds off the surface and he prefers bloodworms and flake. The clown wont touch the BGs food.

Dang, he's gonna get big....
spot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom