Feeding Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNewGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone knew of things that these guys like to eat. I know they love blood worms, but they don't care much for the flake food I have. can they eat chiclid pellets or other pellets maybe some romain lettuce. and tips would be very helpful.

They need a varied diet, and they should not eat exclusively worms. A high-quality flake (like Omega One) has everything they need. Also Marineland's Bio Blend is a good pellet, and some of it sinks faster than the rest, so that the bottomfeeders get to eat while the topfeeders are eating the floating stuff. Hikari pellets are excellent, as well. The bloodworms are a great treat. It is not unusual for fish to take a while to adjust to new food, so don't give up on the flake. Good luck!

Oh yeah, about those snails, Allivymar, do you truly have snail-eating gouramis? Have you seen him eating them? That is so cool.

Well I was watching everyone cruise around tonight and kept a close eye on my gouramis and noticed that they seem to like eating my guppies :twisted: I'm not too suprised by this I actully had to cut back on feeding my fish in hopes that a nitrite spike will come back down. The forced fast seems to be working so far. and the law of nature lives on!

I feed my gouramis tetra min flake food and they love it. I also feed them bloodworms, tetra-colors flakes and krill...they love it all.

I can't get my parents gourami to stop eating all of the food in the tank. He goes after any flake food, sinking shrimp pellets and even algae tablets. And when that food is gone he picks at the rocks and plants looking for more.

LOL Never caught them in the act TankGirl; but I wasn't looking for that sort of behavior. Dummie me did research on diet, and the snail thing never showed up. Wasn't till I did a google on Gouramis and Snails that I discovered they have a taste for me. Course by then it was too late LOL the entire population was decimated.

They are actually starting to come back now; I have about 5 teeny snails. and 4 smalls ones moving about the QT tank. I'm GUESSING the Gouramis don't eat the eggs...or at least mine didn't LOL

My gouramis, and every other fish in my tank for that matter (so I have to throw in a ton) LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat Hikari Tropical's Sinking Carnivore Pellets. They are intended for large carnivorous fish, such as my catfish and botias I have, but they love them anyway. If I don't put enough in for everyone, they will actually fight each other for posession of one. They get really nasty with my Black Skirt Tetras, who like to hog them all. My Moonlight Gourami is also a junkie for Wardley's Tubifex Worm cubes. I feed them those, along with Tetra Min Pro flakes, Tetra Min Variety Wafers, Tetra Min Tropical Tablets, and Wardley Sinking Shrimp Pellets. They seem to go after everything I give them. They are so spoiled. A while ago I bought the frozen "gumdrop" variety pack from Petco, and they loved the vegetable drops they had in there, and liked the Brine Shrimp. Hope this helps. My fish are pigs and will eat just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom