Filter for Fancy Goldfish (55 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on putting 4-5 fancy goldfish (2 black moors, 1 or 2 ryukins, 1 fantial) and I need some help on selecting a filter.

I've read that it should be 550gph, is this correct?

What type of filer (canister, power filter, biowheel, etc.)?

Is it better to have two filters, one each side, since the tank is so long? If so, which kind?

I'd rather not spend a fortune on a filter but I know how important they are!

I'm planning on putting 4-5 fancy goldfish (2 black moors, 1 or 2 ryukins, 1 fantial) and I need some help on selecting a filter.

I've read that it should be 550gph, is this correct?

What type of filer (canister, power filter, biowheel, etc.)?

Is it better to have two filters, one each side, since the tank is so long? If so, which kind?

I'd rather not spend a fortune on a filter but I know how important they are!
I prefer hang on back filters, but canisters work very well also. I would personally go with 2 hob filters on either side of the tank.

Whats your budget for them?

I'm trying to stay under the $100 mark, but I will go over it if it's necessary for my goldfish's well being.

Would you recommend a particular power filter? I was thinking 2 Aqueon Power Filter 50's.

I couldn't find any canister filters close to 550gph, though?

You should get a fluval aquaclear 70 or 110! Great filters and. You can customize the filter media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm trying to stay under the $100 mark, but I will go over it if it's necessary for my goldfish's well being.

Would you recommend a particular power filter? I was thinking 2 Aqueon Power Filter 50's.

I couldn't find any canister filters close to 550gph, though?

For goldfish I prefer HOB's imho. The falling water provides the highly oxygenated water they prefer plus to me are easier to clean even if I have to do it more often. 5 minutes of cleaning a couple days a week is easier to find time for than an hour once a month in my opinion.

Will second the aquaclear recommendation. Don't really care for aqueon filters tbh. I don't like that their filter cartridges come with carbon in the pads. If going lower price I think 2 tetra whisper 70's are better than the aqueons. Again my opinion lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For goldfish I prefer HOB's imho. The falling water provides the highly oxygenated water they prefer plus to me are easier to clean even if I have to do it more often. 5 minutes of cleaning a couple days a week is easier to find time for than an hour once a month in my opinion.

Will second the aquaclear recommendation. Don't really care for aqueon filters tbh. I don't like that their filter cartridges come with carbon in the pads. If going lower price I think 2 tetra whisper 70's are better than the aqueons. Again my opinion lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with you. I have an aqueon on my 36 gal and I really don't care for it. Does the job though I guess. I just bought a fluval aquaclear 70. I have not even used it yet but I can already tell it's literally the best thing ever.

So are you saying if I get the Fluval Aquaclear 70's to get one or two? And what about for the 110?

If I were you I would get 1 fluval aquaclear 110 and call it a day.

^ refer to making your own thread for stuff like this. This one is for his goldfish tank. Don't mean to be rude, but it's a bit annoying when people butt in on threads.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got an aquaclear 110 on my 60 gallon. It's awesome. Only thing is, it creates quite a bit of current. My orandas are okay with that but my one telescope doesn't like swimming near the filter and gets blown around.

If I had to do it over, I might get two smaller filters instead of one large one for goldfish.

I'm using an aquaclear 300 now, but have ordered a whisper 70. It is more powerful & quieter. I'll be using it on my 50 gallon & it is capable of filtering a 70 gallon. Better than what I have now.

I'm using an aquaclear 300 now, but have ordered a whisper 70. It is more powerful & quieter. I'll be using it on my 50 gallon & it is capable of filtering a 70 gallon. Better than what I have now.
The aquaclears are actually quite a bit better than the whisper filters

Back
Top Bottom