Filter Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I’m finding I have to clean my filter once a week as the sponge gets saturated in brown gunk which then reduces the flow of water from the filter. If I leave it more than a week the fish can be seen at the surface as if gasping for air.

The filter is a Rena Internal 70 Gph / 300 l/h

I've got a 92 litre tank, stocked with -
2 clown loaches
3 black widows
3 platies
3 mollies
1 algae eaters

I only feed once a day and water conditions are fine

Why does the sponge get saturated when it didn’t in the past?

Do I need a new/stronger filter? … and if so can I just replace the old one or do I need to run them together for a while for the bacteria to build up in the new filter?

Thanks
Paul

so it's roughly 24gallon tank, with only 70gph flow...roughly 3.5 turnover per hour. I think you're underfiltering, and that's why your sponge gets full so quickly.

You could get another filter like that, and just run both, one at each end of teh tank. I do this on a 20gallon and it works great. You might look at AquaClear filters...I like their HOB's. Never used a rena internal filter, but I have their XP2 canister and it works well.

I agree - with that kind of fish load you need more filtration. Meanwhile, there is nothing wrong with rinsing the filter media out weekly.

Thanks for the advice, its what I feared

The annoying thing is the filter was part of a combined package ie tank, filter, heater all included, so you would have thought it should be up to the job

If I opt for a more powerful filter, how long do I need to run them together until the bacteria builds up?

Depends on the new filter and its media, but assuming you have a, say Aquaclear 50/70 (previously AC 200/300) running with nothing but sponges and biomedia, I would give it two weeks.

paulc said:
The annoying thing is the filter was part of a combined package ie tank, filter, heater all included, so you would have thought it should be up to the job

This is typical, and if you want to grow plants the lighting is just about always woefully inadequate. Considering the cost of eventually replacing the cheap heater, too low lighting and inadequate filter, buying all of the components separately to suit your own needs winds up being most cost effective. My own personal collection of aquarium components collecting dust in a closet attests to this fact! :roll:

I think redundunt filters would be a good idea.. :D
And TG I have a bunch of filters that are too big..LOL I could use some smaller equipment! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom