filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get a Fluval C4 or the largest AquaClear (AC 110?). You can easily customize the media in these. Monthly upkeep is kept low due to not having to buy proprietary filter cartridges.

You can buy two HOB's and place them on opposite ends for even more filtration (i.e. two AC70's).

Last edited:
I don't know anything about customizing media for fancy goldfish (or any fish for that matter.) How would that be done? :confused:

AC filters come with 3 types of media: sponge, a mesh bag of carbon, and a mesh bag of ceramic media (looks like small, rough, whitish pebbles). You don't need the carbon bag so that will free up some space for other media such as a layer or wad of filter floss (for removing fine particles), extra ceramic media (for additional potential space for beneficial bacteria to grow), another sponge (coarse mechanical filtration or additional biological filtration), or chemical media used for polishing the water (not the same as carbon). This is what is meant by customizing the media. Or you can simply go with the media that comes with the filter.

Well.. the filters I mentioned come with media already. But if you wanted to add more bio media for instance, there's room to add more.. or if you wanted to add a product like Purigen you can. In my AquaClear, i cut some filter floss to size for that extra level of polishing. In my Fluval C2, instead of constantly changing the sponge, I rinse it in siphoned tank water. I separated the polishing layer that comes attached to the sponge when it goes bad, and then use the cut-to-size filter floss in lieu of it. Works just as good and saves lots of money versus if you go with another brand filter that forces you to buy their cartridges.

Goldfish are heavy ammonia producers. Having extra filtration is important. Also using quality filters that have the extra room for customization is advantageous. First off, I'd start with adding extra biomax to these filters to increase their beneficial bacteria capacity. Then after the tank is cycled, I'd look into adding purigen. Purigen absorbs nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise result in more ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. Lastly, would be some filter floss.

Here's the filter floss.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA...8&qid=1403870743&sr=1-3&keywords=filter+floss

Here's a good video on an AC70. Notice how he has multiple bags of biomax in his AC on his goldfish tank? I'd just add the layer of filter floss, right on top of the large sponge. TBH, like him, I haven't replaced the sponge or biomax for years. Just a simple rinse in dechlorinated water will do. Same with the Fluval C4.

AquaClear 70 Hang On Back (HOB) Filter Review: http://youtu.be/Tnnb4uPDidg

Last edited:
Does anyone know about the FilStar XP3 canister filter? It technically filters twice the size of the tank I'm going to purchase, but as goldfish are so dirty maybe that's a good thing? and, would that mean I could stick with just one filter, or should I have an additional filter with my fancy goldfish?:fish1:

I personally like the fluval 306 or 406. You can just use one. Larger capacity than a HOB. Also much quieter. Easy to clean. And self priming.

I love the look of the fluval ones a lot! does it do well with aquarium sand? my gold colored goldfish seems to enjoy rubbing against the sand (sometimes) so i don't want to change the substrate.
Note: I'm moving all the belongings from the aquarium they're in now to the 55 gallon. they really have an area to play right now. I plan to make the middle for swimming, and the far side like a forest with live plants. :)

Goldfish usually will eat plants...also the Fluvals are good, but if you want to stay under $100 I would get it cause it will cost $20-$30 more than your cap. Any filter will work with sand besides undergravel filters, which are not used for the most part any more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it's a flexible cap for sure. I have live plants in with them now and they only seem to nibble on broken off pieces. is that bad?:confused:

It depends on the plant..plants such as java fern they won't touch

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

gosh, I've got 6 plants in there plus a moss ball. they don't like eat the plants, but sometimes they'll go and like, taste them...mostly they just rub against them. can any of the plants sold for aquariums in petco or petsmart hurt my fish?

I really don't think so. It's normal for them to have a nibble or two! Every fish I've ever had has nipped at a plant now and again. The plants available certainly shouldn't be bad for the fish

Fish are fun!! ???

Oh good! that is such a relief :lol:
I just love them little fishies! <3

Back
Top Bottom