Final stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another lfs trip! Saw all fish I wanted, got prices. And I think I'm about set. So in my 29 gallon, how's this?
1 apistogramma agazi blue
1 German blue ram
1 flame ram dwarf gourami
10 neon tetras
4 Julii Cory's
3 platy or 6 rumynose

Another lfs trip! Saw all fish I wanted, got prices. And I think I'm about set. So in my 29 gallon, how's this?
1 apistogramma agazi blue
1 German blue ram
1 flame ram dwarf gourami
10 neon tetras
4 Julii Cory's
3 platy or 6 rumynose

You need to have 5 cories, they are a schooling fish and need 5 minimum in a group.

You need to have 5 cories, they are a schooling fish and need 5 minimum in a group.

Shoaling, not schooling, sorry a pet peeve of mine haha

4 corys would generally be fine but be prepared to add more if you start seeing them get stressed

Shoaling, not schooling, sorry a pet peeve of mine haha

4 corys would generally be fine but be prepared to add more if you start seeing them get stressed

I've always seen it as schooling, so the correct term is shoaling? Well I learned something new about this hobby today :)

I've always seen it as schooling, so the correct term is shoaling? Well I learned something new about this hobby today :)

Yep, corys shoal. Shoaling and schooling are two totally different things. Schooling fish group together and match each others movements to seem like a larger fish to predators, shoaling just means a social group

I think no platties, maybe getting up to bioload when all get to be adults. Don't add all those fish at once Just a group or couple at a time. So tank will be able to handle it and built better BB stock.

Yep, corys shoal. Shoaling and schooling are two totally different things. Schooling fish group together and match each others movements to seem like a larger fish to predators, shoaling just means a social group

Interesting. Something I didnt know but glad to know, thanks!

Thanks everyone! I'll do the rumynose not the platy. I may do kuhli loaches instead of Cory's. the Julli are 7.99 each at my lfs! And there aren't any others that I really like! Can you think of any other cool, cheap ones? And also, I was wondering if anyone could ID this plant?! Thanks to all! It looks like grass or weed

Attachments

• image-553258335.jpg
    image-553258335.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 96
I have Panda Corys, they are super cute and fun to watch. What kind of substrate do you have?

Hard to tell from the pic; could be Vallisneria or something similar. Are you sure it's fully aqauatic? Some LFS sell plants that are terrarium plants rather than aquatic plants. Mondo grass is one and could be what you have also.

Our lfs have Pygmy Cories for 2.99 each or as low as 2.49 if you buy like 4 or 6 at a time which you normally would. Really cute. Also Dwarf Cory Habrosus. They only get appx. 1.3" full grown.

I would also advise against the Dwarf Gourami. Most of the stock lately is sick. So the fish could die, or infect all your other fish and make them sick/die too. But, it is up to you. A pearl gourami would be nice too!

Thanks everyone! I'll do the rumynose not the platy. I may do kuhli loaches instead of Cory's. the Julli are 7.99 each at my lfs! And there aren't any others that I really like! Can you think of any other cool, cheap ones? And also, I was wondering if anyone could ID this plant?! Thanks to all! It looks like grass or weed

That is definitely mondo grass. As stated above it will die eventually. Its not fully aquatic. Know from experience.

Ok thanks! So as for the stock, a pearl gourami would be good? I'd be alright with that. And I'll look into Pygmy Cory's. do they work with my stock?
Also, I picked up water wisteria, narrow leaf java fern and windelov java fern. I will be planting them in my tank! So how's this
1 apisto agazi blue
1 German blue ram
1 pearl gourami
10 neon tetras
6 rumynose tetras
4-6 Pygmy Cory's or 4 kuhli loaches. Am I fully stocked? Could I possibablly add a scarlet badis? And any other solitary fish I could add? Thanks!
Ps. Does anyone have one of these apisto agazi blue? I want to see what an adult looks like!

Ok thanks! So as for the stock, a pearl gourami would be good? I'd be alright with that. And I'll look into Pygmy Cory's. do they work with my stock?
Also, I picked up water wisteria, narrow leaf java fern and windelov java fern. I will be planting them in my tank! So how's this
1 apisto agazi blue
1 German blue ram
1 pearl gourami
10 neon tetras
6 rumynose tetras
4-6 Pygmy Cory's or 4 kuhli loaches. Am I fully stocked? Could I possibablly add a scarlet badis? And any other solitary fish I could add? Thanks!
Ps. Does anyone have one of these apisto agazi blue? I want to see what an adult looks like!

I think you would be fully stocked with that, and it would look really nice.

And what should I do for algea. 1 bn or rubberlip pleco, 3 oto, 2 zebra nerite, or all or two of em?

And what should I do for algea. 1 bn or rubberlip pleco, 3 oto, 2 zebra nerite, or all or two of em?

Try the 2 Nerite. Look into the Horned Nerite. They are really awesome. After the tank is stable and a few months, if you need them go for a few otos.

Also check out the pros and cons of getting the Cardinals instead of Neons. Cardinals are better in a more established tank too btw.

A male Pearl Gourami is one of the most beautiful fish when they have their breeding colors. Look for an active fish but not the leader of the pack. I got the biggest most active leader fish and he killed a female and almost killed my 2nd male, he was mean as could be possible. He got rehomed to a semi aggressive tank and started to behave. I now have just one gorgeous male and he spends almost all of the time with his breeding colors.

Back
Top Bottom