Finished with my stocking but aqadvisor is giving me false info I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I finished my stocking today my tank is
55 gallon
Lightly planted
Drift wood
Fine substrate

My tank is turning out absolutely amazing so I figured since I had the extra money I would finish my fish stock, went to my lfs today bought 6 rainbows... 2 Boeseman rainbows, 2 irian Jaya (red irian) rainbows, 2 Lake wanam(emerald) rainbows already have 1 Turquoise in the tank, stocked my ornate tetras to 6, my lemon tetras to 6 and 1 calico BN and that's it so my tank has 20 fish total, aqadvisor is saying I need 5 of each species of rainbow which is false I called 10 very high reputable fish stores in the US ranging from Florida, to new york, to Ohio (aquarium adventure) to Michigan and more they all told me you do not need 5 of each cause they will school together... Is this correct??, also there's no way I'm 94% stocked with 20 fish, I'm not worried about the stick part even though it's incorrect as I know how to keep my tank pristine but is aqadvisor not accurate anymore (haven't used it in a very long time)

I did not add my clown loaches to the aqadvisor cause they are getting returned next week as my tanks only a 55 and I know they need 125+

My main concern is the rainbows do I actually need 5 of each of is aqadvisor incorrect.

Here's a video make sure you set the quality in YouTube to 720p 60fps or it will show in very low resolution and also pic of aqadvisor
https://youtu.be/1WwFI_J-cP8
8d777fdbfc35b84b017d9afe199a3f6a.jpg

Aqadvisor is a starting point. I don't know much about different species of rainbow fish schooling together, so I can't speak to that.

20 fish, especially some of the big rainbow fish you have listed, will easily fill out a whole 55 gallon tank.

They don't get big lol, 4 inches each that's only 28 inches of tank water if you follow the 1 inch to 1 gallon rule that's approx 50%

They don't get really big 4" Max each, that's at full grown, 28 inches of tank water if you follow the 1 inch per 1 gallon rule approx 50% stock

But they do get full as well, not so much the Boeseman's but the emeralds do and the Turquoise

Atm they are babies I will have a bigger tank by this winter but I think aqadvisor just puts in factors and doesn't know you can combine different species to make a school

They don't get big lol, 4 inches each that's only 28 inches of tank water if you follow the 1 inch to 1 gallon rule that's approx 50%

The inch per gallon rule is an archaic guideline that doesn't work. Trust me, you're about 100% stocked with what you've got. 4 inch fish are bigger than you think and can produce a ton of waste.

But they do get full as well, not so much the Boeseman's but the emeralds do and the Turquoise

Atm they are babies I will have a bigger tank by this winter but I think aqadvisor just puts in factors and doesn't know you can combine different species to make a school

Your different rainbows may kind of loosely school, but they won't exhibit the same schooling behavior the would if they were with several members of their same species. You won't get a really apparent schooling effect unless you have larger numbers of 1 species.

The inch per gallon rule is an archaic guideline that doesn't work. Trust me, you're about 100% stocked with what you've got. 4 inch fish are bigger than you think and can produce a ton of waste.

Your different rainbows may kind of loosely school, but they won't exhibit the same schooling behavior the would if they were with several members of their same species. You won't get a really apparent schooling effect unless you have larger numbers of 1 species.
So by that you mean 4 different species doesn't really meet the recommendations on keeping them? Hard to put into words but what I mean is that I would of been better off sticking with the 1 I had rather than getting more of his kind even though they aren't Turquoise?

Like does 4 different species(7 total) make a school of 5 as aqadvisor recommends?

I think what he's trying to say, and I agree with him, is that different rainbows will hang out but you won't get the same effect you would with a school of all one type.

This is a hard question to put into words, I'm just wondering if they will be okay with 4 different species instead of just 1 species like stress wise, last night they were all flashing at each other

They are all schooled together today swimming back and forth across the tank, is not super tight like discus but they are all together

I think tank size is the empty tank when you put substrate, plants etc. it all takes up gallons. I think that's correct. I might be wrong.

I think tank size is the empty tank when you put substrate, plants etc. it all takes up gallons. I think that's correct. I might be wrong.
On aqadvisor after you add your tank it takes away gallons, like Mines 55 but when I put my tank in it says 51.6 gallons don't know if they account for a 2" substrate bed or not , it'll be okay I will get a 75-90 gallon soon even if I didn't get one I know how to maintain my tank the only issue is I do know over crowding does result in stress /infection

Aquavisor is really cool site. But im just not confident in its overall recommendation process.

Aquavisor is really cool site. But im just not confident in its overall recommendation process.
Yeah me neither, I also called aquarium adventure which yes they are Jerks and short with customers but they are one of the best in the US, I also Googled best aquariums stores in the United States and called half of them based on reviews. What it comes down to is now in gonna be forced to upgrade which i wanted to anyways but I am a horrible carpenter lol, the tank won't be expensive the stand will if I have to buy it.

I hear what's being said about "schooling effect", but I think the question here might be,
Would the different species schooling be enough of the schooling necessary to keep the fish healthy?

Is the effect being mentioned more aesthetic for the keepers pleasure, or is it essential for the health of the fish?

Yes but I got the answer today from the guru of rainbows, they will be absolutely fine, they all school together, in my tank and in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom