first foray into cichlids...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cargod78

Aquarium Advice Regular
well as the title says, this will be my first go with African Cichlids.. going to go with a mixed group, all very young 1-1.5 inches planning on 2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 orange and 2 white in a 29gallon planted tank with white sand. I have looked around on the net and i think i have the basics down for temp, PH, food and such. does anyone have any advice for a Cichlid noob?

this is the tank i will be using:
imageuhy.jpg

Tank is too small. You will need a 55 gallon or LARGER for that many cichlids.

ccross said:
Tank is too small. You will need a 55 gallon or LARGER for that many cichlids.

Yes I agree and with aggression it could kill your fish >.<

Cargod78 said:
until what size would they be ok? I plan a 55 in the future, just not right now.

Maybe 40Gallon MINIMUM ! Not too many though and would get more females than males. A lot of people don't recommended 40G but I don't know I saw people do it and agression was ok... I would get more opinions I'm not always the best one.

ok.. i really like the vibrant colors of the cichlids.. what would you recommend for a 29 gallon tank? I have looked briefly into the yellow convicts due to their small size but no one around here sells them (that i am aware of)

are there any other small breeds?

Cargod78 said:
noticed that did you? lol... i just got done building the makeshift stand for the tank.

Something else I noticed...
Nice work on the stand, much nicer looking than mine. Now, I am not a carpenter, but it looks like the load of the tank is being held by the screws and not the legs. What I mean is the legs are screwed into the inside of the top load bearing platform instead of the top platform being screwed onto the top of the legs. Get what I mean? This may not be an issue with a 29 gallon tank but if you build a stand for a larger tank you may want to take that into consideration. Depending on how you attached the top to the legs you might want to consider reinforcing those joints with hurricane straps or something. Again, I know very little of carpentry, it's just an observation.

Sorry to go off topic.

absolutley correct, i thought about that after looking at it a while.. so i added a layer of MDF on top to spread the load and make sure the legs were carrying it.

speaking of which, i just got a 46gal bow front with a stand... is it just me or do those store bought stands look sort of thin? i mean, i boult mine out of actual lumber not thin strips like the store bought one...
imagexvm.jpg

absolutley correct, i thought about that after looking at it a while.. so i added a layer of MDF on top to spread the load and make sure the legs were carrying it.

speaking of which, i just got a 46gal bow front with a stand... is it just me or do those store bought stands look sort of thin? i mean, i boult mine out of actual lumber not thin strips like the store bought one...
imagexvm.jpg

We bought a 29 Gallon + Stand combo at petsmart and you are correct, the stands seem very cheap. But, me and one of my buddies stood on it to test it and it held. Easily 500lbs of weight, lol.

As for the cichlids, kribenzies (I know that isnt spelled right) are small and look really cool. Shellies are nice too.

Back
Top Bottom