Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to a lake this past Friday and found hundreds of these little guys. The biggest one that I saw was at max 3/4 inches so it leads me to believe that this is max size for them. To me they look like some type of goby, because they perch them self up with there front fins, and there incredibly small mouth. They also. Look to have the finage of a goby it has two dorsal fins you can't really see them in the picture smaller one in the front and bigger one in the back. It also looks like it is possible to distinguish male and female the one in the picture is a female and a male would me a darker gray with a white line on the front of the first dorsal fin. This lake is now ****ed up so it has no access to brackish water so it has to be full fresh water. I have to be honest this is probably one of the coolest fish I have, they just scoot around the bottom picking at food on the ground. And the first time I fed them they ate it right away. I just want to know what speices I have found so that I can research more about there needs.

Attachments

• image-2049471343.jpg
    image-2049471343.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 105
More specifications
I live in San Diego
I found these in lake Ramona
They were in the shallow parts of the lake
Their head looks exactly like a mandarin gobies head that's originally what lead me to think goby but the. The finage matched to.

Just to narrow the search down a little more

I looked into it a little further and those get to be around 8 inches
I don't think that this is it when the biggest one I saw was smaller than an inch

There hasn't been any reports of round goby on the west coast that I have seen so that is the only thing that is preventing me with agreeing
But the markings do look the same

I'm going diving in the lake today so I will see if I can find adults. If I do infact find adults should I tell someone about it? Like the wild life people?

Could they be American freshwater goby Ctenogobius shufeldti ?
They seem pretty widespread in the states and they only grow to around 8cm max.

i skipped out on diving yesterday so nothing to report, but I have been doing research and the tidewater goby could be another option, it looks like it almost has the same coloration and they only reach 2 inches max, they usually live in brackish water but have been found many miles up freshwater streams. the lake that i go to was a stream but then got ****ed off and filled up so i is possible that maybe a few got trapped but, the colorations don't exactly match up.

Back
Top Bottom