Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Platies and guppies can't interbreed and that's definitely a platy

I don't know why you're so sure that this is a platy? For it's definitely a molly.

Wel, livebearers which impregnate themselves is something I haven't witnessed myself in way over 40 years I'm keeping and breeding them myself.

Sex change with livebearers is a fact! I've witnessed that quite often throughout the years. But only females can change into males and not the other way around. These transgender females will keep the gravid spot. That wil not dissappear. And once their anal fin has changed into a gonopodium, they are able to fertilize other females. I do have to say that scientists will most likely reject what I'm saying here. For till this very day, it's still not scientifically proven that this is possible. But I know it's a fact that females can change into males. And yes, in general it does happen when the ratio male/female is out of balance. It doesn't even happen with livebearing toothcarps. It also happens with other species. And it's a way to preserve the species. "Nature will look after herself"...

It's different from the phenomen "late males". Late males are males which look quite similar to females when it comes to body features but show their masculine features at an older age. Which results in large fish to look at.

Mollies can absolutely interbreed with guppies. It's already been mentioned overhere. they're of the same genus "Poecilidae". I had a crossbreeding once but it didn't lok like the picture shown. Hybrids of those two will look more slender. They're not exactly beautiful fish to watch in my opinion.
But eventhough they're able to interbreed, it's not very likely that it will happen when you put those two together. If both genders of both species will be put in one tank, than they'll choose their own species to mate with. A crossbreeding hapens faster when one of them doesn't have the opposite gender around.

Well, another remark I've read overhere is that black sailfin mollies were swimming in there and this little one ain't black. Well, black sailfin mollies are fancy mollies. So, you won't find those in free nature. Black sailfin mollies didn't start off as being black. A colouration different from black can occur because of what I've just mentioned. It can be a re-occuring colour of an ancestor. So, you can't rule out that this one isn't an offspring of the black ones.

Ohw, yes... Coralbandit is right about me keeping and breeding endlers but I do keep and breed also other livebearers for over 40 years and I still do. So, it's not only endlers. But I am known for my endlers and wildguppies.

And yes, I haven't been around overhere for some time but that's pretty the same thing with other forums as well. And yes, I am also a member at other forums. But I have been so occupied lately that I have only been posting on some forums.

Had quite some vivaristic events to tend to. I'm also prepping for a three week exhibition called the AquaHortus 2015 in September this year. I'll be providing rare livebearers and inner filters for this international exhibition. And I'll also be assisting the dutch livebearer society "Poecilia Netherlands" overthere. So, that's a sidejob next to my own contribution. I'm attending to international championships as an international judge in Germany. One concerns an international endler championship and the other one is an international livebearer championship. I'll be judging livebearers in the Netherlands as well this summer. Also western-european entries are allowed to send in. And I've got also some other vivaristic events coming up in Holland and in Belgium later this year. And I'm doing some preps for a couple of workshops and lectures. So yes, it's a full schedule.

But I'm trying to keep up posting at several forums the best I can.

My pleasure...

Well Tom,

I do post items about those events on my website.
Well to be honest, I still have to update my website for that matter... → Lack of time! But I'm planning to update it ASAP!

Thanks stan. Ive never had ther hermaphraditic thing happen to me either. But im positive it exists. The ichthyologist thay came and spoke brought preserved cross sections for us to see with both organs. He said it is ultra rare. Also im very curious abt your stance on the debate of the guppy is an endler is a guppy. Through my yrs of livebearers keeping and breeding it seems that the classification of these pretty lil endlers changes all the time. Your thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just because you or I have not seen something does not add or take away one bit of merit from it!
This makes me curious!
I met Stan on another site where the topic was "late males" and he thought I was a "young punk!"
Now he thinks I am an old man!
I still like hearing from him, and all breeders Poppa(I sent Andy a Pm also!)
Eitherway I really like were this thread has gone(sorry Rudy) ,
I think Stan is correct that if either fish has a choice it WILL pick its own.
There are links on discus picking mates that are the same color as themselves when given choice!!!
How do they know what they look like????
I think you got a molly without the color expected.
Fish do funny things..
Have you seen my ram thread?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/gold-or-not-336355.html

Ive seen the discus same color thing occasionally. But from watching my many discus breeders pair up over the yrs, its usually size that wins out with their choice of partner.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom