Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434330559.599841.jpg this little guy is roughly 4 months old and is from my 10g where he/she was born from a guppy. But looking at him/her he/she doesn't look like a guppy. I know when I started keeping fish I mainly had guppies and one day I come home to platies and mollies in my 10g. The guppies where mixed genders and the platies and mollies where all male. Could he be a hybrid guppy platy?

Keep calm and drum on

Platies and guppies can't interbreed and that's definitely a platy.

Are you certain that the platys were all male? It's simple to make a mistake with them and many many LFSs do end up making mistakes with it (primarily chain stores)

*shrug* maybe you got a mutant platy?

Its possible that a guppy and molly bred, but the body shape is wrong.

Mollies and guppies can cross breed.They are from the same family(poeciliidae)
They are called "muppies" if it was a male molly or gollies if the guppy was the male.
This is not super common but has been seen and many links are out there about it.
She looks very well fed or prego also!

I'll be honest I never thought of that. And after looking at her again I noticed my other black molly look the same aside from color. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434392263.868487.jpg

Keep calm and drum on

Im gonna throw this out there. Not sure it would apply but, live barers have been known to sex change out of lack of opposite sex. Also their are plenty of cases of hermaphroditic livebarers impregnating themselves. Doubt this is your case. Just throwin it out there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im gonna throw this out there. Not sure it would apply but, live barers have been known to sex change out of lack of opposite sex. Also their are plenty of cases of hermaphroditic livebarers impregnating themselves. Doubt this is your case. Just throwin it out there.

Nice!
I know they can hide their sex for a year or more and have had discussions on changing sex(others agree with you),
but never heard of them getting themselves prego!

That wouldn't really apply here mainly because it's not the gender that's in question.

Keep calm and drum on

Nice!
I know they can hide their sex for a year or more and have had discussions on changing sex(others agree with you),

Thanks. A few yrs back we had an ichthyologist come talk abt livebarers to our club. I was just passing along possibly useful info from his presentation.

Stan(emeraldking) would probably know about this.
I'll PM him to this link (he hasn't been around in a month or so).

That wouldn't really apply here mainly because it's not the gender that's in question.

Keep calm and drum on

I was just throwin a thought out there. The sex of a hermaphroditic fish cld be in question as if it is one and its genes are presenting male qualities, but fem reproductive systems are still present. Its entirely possible for it to drop a few fry and only a few due to much smaller capacity for the repro system. As it is smaller, the gravid spots arent always present either. Live Cases for both were presented by the ichthyologist. It blew my mind listening to him.

Nice!

I've noticed in my 55g that I keep my guppies in now,I sort the males and females and keep the males in a 10g because there's less, I spent a couple hours sorting them to make sure there where no males with females and no females with males. About a month later there's 1 male in my 55g and 1 female in my 10g the only thing I've ever thought of was changed genders among them. And the female with the males is,no surprise, pregnant

Keep calm and drum on

I've noticed in my 55g that I keep my guppies in now,I sort the males and females and keep the males in a 10g because there's less, I spent a couple hours sorting them to make sure there where no males with females and no females with males. About a month later there's 1 male in my 55g and 1 female in my 10g the only thing I've ever thought of was changed genders among them. And the female with the males is,no surprise, pregnant

Keep calm and drum on

Sounds like exactly what i was telling ya about. Evolution at work for species propogation. Cooool to see isnt it?

I'm not doubting it but I find it unlikely because the only mollies where black sailfin mollies and if that where the case it'd be black. I'd say most likely a molly and a guppy bred

Keep calm and drum on

Keep calm and drum on
This was very common with my swordtails!
One thought is the dominant male (along with others possibly) can/will release Growth Inhibiting Hormones(GHI) that inhibit the "shy " males.
Some don't believe in GHI in which case I move to survival!
My swords (males) were BRUTAL to each other.
Once I would remove all the larger swords a "female" would change into a male!
Stan said(says ) they actually change sex,which I know some marine fish are documented to do.

Back
Top Bottom